Shipping Direct to Consumers - any state

fermental

I posted this to the other thread about California direct sales but it really impacts any distillery who is permitted to ship direct to consumers. Pennsylvania permits Limited Distilleries, (PA's license for craft distillers) to ship direct to retail and licensed customers in state so long as you use a delivery service that will verify proof of age on the receiving end.

HOWEVER, I have been inquiring about shipping services this week and - USPS will not ship alcohol, UPS is not issuing any new agreements for any alcoholic beverages other than wine, and FedEx will only allow shipment of spirits from a licensed shipper to a licensed receiver - not direct to consumers, unless, again, you are shipping wine.

So, that's a problem. I really can't understand why UPS and FedEx have special exceptions for wineries. Distilleries who wish to ship direct to customers are now forced to use carriers other than UPS and FedEx.

Fed Ex does allow to ship direct to customer you do not have to ship to a licensed receiver .... The receiver must be able to prove that they are over "21"... It was a huge pain in the ass getting set up with Fed ex to ship alcohol.....

LeftTurnDistilling - I just got off the phone with FedEx for the second time and was, again, told that they will only handle direct shipment of wine to unlicensed receivers and they specifically clarified - twice - that they prohibit the shipment of spirits to unlicensed receivers.

If you have a way around this, I'd love to know what it is.

FedEx was a super easy setup for us, and they have no issues shipping spirits. We just filled out the forms and they sent us all the required labels. One of the easiest things we've done at the distillery. You might be dealing with a PA issue.

Well - I'm happy to hear that you are able to use FedEx to ship - at least that might mean that this is a PA problem. It may be that FedEx doesn't understand the PA liquor code or maybe doesn't want to. I'll keep digging.