Hard vs. Soft Water

Still_Holler

We use carbon filtered water for everything.  According to our water company our water hardness is 23 grains / gallon.  We do soften prior to our RO system and boiler (and dishwasher!)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feed back. 

The reason I ask.

I have hard water from a spring and we have had no issue with our mashes with it, but I had a friend of a friend come in and he sets up water treatment systems for breweries.  He was saying brewers like soft for some types of beer and hard for others.  He said could set me up a softener with a bypass so I could try mash with soft and mash with hard and compare. I know he would like to sell me a softener so not to keen on taking the time to mess with it unless I can find any evidence it would be helpful.

• 3 months later...

Given that your untreated water is not too hard and your calcium concentration is around 50ppm, that would be perfect. I would not recommend mashing with RO, as it would be free is crucial ions required for mashing.

However, for cutting i would recommend  RO. As certain ions can form precipitates that can form non reversible haze!

KCB