Fire Code

Zac Triemert

It's been a frustrating day. The State Fire Marshal gave us his blessing on our distillery more than a year ago, but somehow the City Fire Marshal over-rides his authority (??) and basically told us 'NO'. After many drafts of discussion on our production and storage, he said that we could continue the conversation if we can show that 40% alcohol by volume is a "combustible liquid" and not a "flammable liquid". I've had to scrap the idea of storing any barrels on-site; off-site will have to do. The definition of a "combustible liquid" according to the International Fire Code (2003) is a "liquid having a closed cup flash point at or above 100F (38C)".

Questions: Does anyone have an MSDS that shows the flash point on 40% abv spirits at 100F or above?

Is there any other source that shows this?

Thanks,

Zac

Zac Triemert

Co-President

The Sòlas Distillery

Omaha, NE

It's been a frustrating day. The State Fire Marshal gave us his blessing on our distillery more than a year ago, but somehow the City Fire Marshal over-rides his authority (??) and basically told us 'NO'. After many drafts of discussion on our production and storage, he said that we could continue the conversation if we can show that 40% alcohol by volume is a "combustible liquid" and not a "flammable liquid". I've had to scrap the idea of storing any barrels on-site; off-site will have to do. The definition of a "combustible liquid" according to the International Fire Code (2003) is a "liquid having a closed cup flash point at or above 100F (38C)".

Questions: Does anyone have an MSDS that shows the flash point on 40% abv spirits at 100F or above?

Is there any other source that shows this?

Thanks,

Zac

Zac Triemert

Co-President

The Sòlas Distillery

Omaha, NE

Hi Zac,

I have attached an MSDS from a distillery in Wales. I hope it helps you to get the fire marshal's blessing.

All the best,

Rusty

Berle W Figgins, Jr

The Ellensburg Distillery

Ellensburg, WA

MSDS_for_40__ABV_EtOH.pdf

Maybe a little off topic but a thought.

Check the DOT,FAA and NTSB sites for information. I know as someone who used to bring a lot of alcohol in his carry on when I went on trips (research you know) that 100 proof or less was OK but anything over that such as the Buffalo Trace George T. Stagg barrel proof (136-144 proof- varied )bourbon was not allowed as it was considered flammable ( Stagg is still referred to as Hazmat I - IV depending on the release # in some circles) so there was definitely a Federal finding (and who knows maybe some research or footnote) on what was simply a combustible compared to a flammable.

DOT might be the must useful and the one the local Fire Marshall might recognize.

I'm afraid this won't help you:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

It shows a flash point of 79F for 40% ABV. Definitely in the flammable territory. Class 1C by this website:

http://www.labsafety.com/refinfo/ezfacts/ezf179.htm

And a link that contains the source reference:

http://www.cheresources.com/invision/index...amp;#entry17719

The problem isn't so much that alcohol is or is not flammable, but the vapor concentrations and spark/flame sources. There is no spark or flame source inside a still. That's why even though the EtOH vapor concentrations inside the still are very high, it doesn't spontaneously burst into flame.

For storing spirits in wooden barrels indoors, you may want to vent the facility so the vapors can safely escape into the atmosphere.

Inquire about the issues requiring an MSDS. Is it how to fight an alcohol fire if one happens?

Let them know that millions of gallons of spirits are produced in America every year and there no fires (almost, DRinc had a fire of some sort at their facility a couple years back, mention was in their SEC filings).

What sort of occupancy are you applying for? In our new location we applied and received H3 which allows hazardous occupancy. The downside is you may have a number of other accommodations to make- possibly sprinkler, paths of egress, or any number of others that can increase your start up cost significantly. In our new location we have to add a sprinkler system, chop a few exits into block walls and even install fire glass between us and another occupancy.

Good luck!

• 6 months later...
(almost, DRinc had a fire of some sort at their facility a couple years back, mention was in their SEC filings).

Someone asked me about this, and I couldn't find the information. In fact, I can't find DRinc in the SEC Edgar database at all under any name. There was a fire at MGP Ingredients in Atchison, KS plant in 2002, and they do have SEC filings.

So my sincere apologies to DRinc.