Can anyone recommend a good pump to use for GNS

Neil

Hi all,

We are a new set up in Yonkers, NY and we have drums of GNS (Ethanol) that need to be moved from the drums into a holding tank where we will de-proof it. Can anyone recommend a good pump and hosing that can handle this high proof ethanol. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you guys a lot. I will continue my investigation based on your advice. I also have a TCW catalog so I can call them and ask them about Stainless steel arir powered diaphram pumps. By the way, Jedd, what does "npt" to sanitary fittings" mean and sorry for my ignorance but are the ground straps to prevent it from moving? I saw in a different area of the forum someone recommeded Graco pumps and Goodyear purple hosing. The main thing is it should handle 195 proof ehanol.

They dissipate the static charge that will build up during the transfer of liquid, ethanol in this case. The higher the velocity the more static charge will build up. You must ground your vessels. I would ground the hose and the receiving vessel both. I know there are some small diameter tubing available that has a wire wound through them to ground with. We used them in the chemical industry. I've got to believe there also larger diameter hoses as well. Do not transfer the ethanol without them. I've seen static build up in transferring solvents that I didn't have grounded. It's very scary when that happens. Luckily I never had a fire.

Thank you very much Mad. I will investigate this. I am not familliar with ground straps that Jedd Haas mentioned. Where do they attach to. Also, he mentions "For the hoses, braided silicone with sanitary fittings and some npt to sanitary fittings for the pump" Excuse my ignorance but what is "npt to sanitary fittings" mean? Thanks again. Also, someone else on another post mentioned 'goodyear purple hosing" Are either of you aware of this brand? Thank you once again for your assistance. - Neil

hi Neil,

Mad Scientist and leftturndistilling gave you the correct answers. I would emphasize also the importance of the ground straps - google this topic and you will find some sobering "after the fire" pictures to emphasize the level of concern. Regarding the straps themselves, I use jumper cables. Each set of jumper cables can be separated to give two individual straps.