Liquor Sales by type

coop

The government publishes monthly sales and production figures at ttb.gov.

Does anyone have a chart for sales comparison by volume of Vodka vs Gin vs Whiskey? Just wondering what sells the best and in what order. coop

One good source is Adams Liquor Handbook. It is produced annually. Usually a close by metropolitan library has it. It contains breakdowns by state.

I have some data for 2003, which showed Colorado (I figured you wanted home turf numbers) had the following percentage breakdown:

American Whiskey: 13.2%

Imported (Canadian+Scotch+Irish): ~18.5%

Gin: 5.4%

Vodka: 26.7%

Nationally, the percentages were very close to Colorado's.

Glenn

One good source is Adams Liquor Handbook. It is produced annually. Usually a close by metropolitan library has it. It contains breakdowns by state.

I have some data for 2003, which showed Colorado (I figured you wanted home turf numbers) had the following percentage breakdown:

American Whiskey: 13.2%

Imported (Canadian+Scotch+Irish): ~18.5%

Gin: 5.4%

Vodka: 26.7%

Nationally, the percentages were very close to Colorado's.

Glenn

Thank you all for your help, Coop

Distilled spirits consumption by category, 2006-2007 (thousands 9-liter cases)

Nice find! That link contains data from the Adams Liquor Handbook (or the Liquor Handbook as it is now known) that I mentioned. Might save a trip to the library. In case you have about $1000 that needs a home, you can buy the handbook here:

2008 Liquor Handbook

This pretty much shows that across the years there isn't a large shift in market share between the various types of spirits, so any given year's data will probably give you a good idea of the relative markets for each type of spirit.

Glenn

• 9 months later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

The government publishes monthly sales and production figures at ttb.gov.

Yep, I finally was able to find those statistics, and they were very, very interesting to say the least. Very encouraging.

Thanks, scohar, for that info.

A.