PUMPS

AKBIGK

We are making vodka by taking 10% beer and transferring it to a storage vessel, then pumping it to a beer stripper, then to the still, and then to a dilution tank, then through a plate filter (yet to be purchased, wine plates?) into a bottler(yet to be purchased, heard Enolmaster was good). Would one diaphram pump work until the dilution tank transfer, and then an explosion proof pump for the 190+...

We are piecing the puzzle together, and so far have our PDA-2's on the way, with some stainless storage so far. Any advice would be great, we are shopping the different winery supply stores and are putting together a wishlist for each. Thanks from AK.

Kyle

On the topic of PUMPS, anybody know what to use to pump distillate (over 100 proof)? Diaphram? Explosion Proof? Will regular electric pumps work?

We use a simple 12V Diaphram type and have been pumping 194 proof for over a year. It is rated for alcohol and fuel. Coop

Which one?

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

We use a simple 12V Diaphram type and have been pumping 194 proof for over a year. It is rated for alcohol and fuel. Coop

Are you sure your pump is rated for alcohol? I was going to buy one then I saw this in the operation manual:

CAUTION: DO NOT use to pump flammable liquids. Never operate the pump in an explosive environment.

Arcing from the motor brushes, switch or excessive heat from an improperly cycled motor may cause

an explosion.

Are you sure your pump is rated for alcohol? I was going to buy one then I saw this in the operation manual:

CAUTION: DO NOT use to pump flammable liquids. Never operate the pump in an explosive environment.

Arcing from the motor brushes, switch or excessive heat from an improperly cycled motor may cause

an explosion.

What type of pump is properly rated for pumping flammable liquids, like alcohol?

Can you tell me a brand and model number?

Tom

Guest Bonanza

That is a great pump for cooling water, I have one in use as I try to manage as much as I can with solar energy.

It's a diaphram pump working with rubber valves, the 2088 comes in 12V or 110V. Good part of it is that it can run dry.

When it was one week old I used it once to empty a diesel conterminated watertank and it doesn't auto prime since than, the rubber valves got a little damaged. The repair kit isn't cheap in relation to the price of the complete pump.

I'm also looking for a good priced alcohol resistent pump for high proof, actually I use low compressed air in the store vessel (similar to a beer keg system).

Ok here it is, Shurflo model 2088-343-435, 3 GPM, 12VDC, 5 AMP @ 45 PSI. Coop