Filtering Wash for Perfect Clarity....anyone do it?

John S

I was reading an old thread about clarifying a finished wash, and found this question posted by Seth:

"Can you use a plate and frame filter to remove the suspended yeast, post fermentation, or would this somehow harm the final product?" (no one answered him)

I understand that no one recommends using Sparkaloid or other fining agents...however, is anyone filtering their wash before running it? Plate and Frame may not be the best choice...might there be another type of filter for this? I've read about centrifuges being used for this reason, so that's why I ask.

Cheers,

John

I know Frederic Brewing (now owned by Flying Dog) used a pharmaceutical centrifuge they bought at a industrial auction so they could really manage how little or how much (wheatbeer) turbidity and clarity they wanted.

"Can you use a plate and frame filter to remove the suspended yeast, post fermentation, or would this somehow harm the final product?" (no one answered him)

I understand that no one recommends using Sparkaloid or other fining agents...however, is anyone filtering their wash before running it? Plate and Frame may not be the best choice...might there be another type of filter for this? I've read about centrifuges being used for this reason, so that's why I ask.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If for whatever reason you don't want to use filter aids, other than time and temperature, you could chill it down and allow time for Stokes' law to do its thing, then polish it up with a DE filter. Thats what you might do to make beer sparkle, but why no fining aids, and especially, why filter the wash before distilling?

"Thats what you might do to make beer sparkle, but why no fining aids, and especially, why filter the wash before distilling?"

Good question...I am not sure why fining aids are not used. On an older post, a few of the guys were saying that fining agents shouldn't be used at all. I am curious about them, as well as filtering the wash...to remove yeast solids left in the finished wash, as Seth asked a while back.

Thanks for your help guys

I've read about centrifuges being used for this reason, so that's why I ask.

Cheers,

John

Re: Filtering wash,

Hi John,

I know that some micro-brewery’s use a reasonable priced centrifuge,(to remove yeast sediment), that was originally designed for the WVO people, (waste veggie oil). It will separate yeast with ease, infact to a couple micron's.

Absolute Centrifuge is the company. Their turnkey products look good, it might be worth look. The flow rates they give are for either heated WVO or cold WVO so you may need to email them for them for some idea on flow rates for beers, worts and wash’s.

Who knows, a unit may help to utilize WVO as a alternative power source for your distillery? I hope this helps.

Here is their web site.

http://www.absolutecentrifuge.com/store.aspx

Ps. I have no affiliation with this company but I wish I had a unit.

I know in the wine world there's wineries using a lees filter which helps seperate all the heavy sediment (yeast, etc.) from freshly fermented wine. Its usually used to minimize loss from the first racking but i have no idea how it would work with a grain based wash.....

• 2 weeks later...