Antifoam

DyerWolf

I think it depends upon what anti-foaming agent you use. They can be as simple as the old fashioned hunk of fatback. Or vegetable oil. In my 19th century style alembic/pot still I've used vegetable oil and it has worked very well. I think that's a valid anti-foaming agent. What are the commercial agents made of?

I am considering using an antifoam for my mashes. Can anyone suggest a brand and supplier. Do people have opinions on use of antifoam?

Thanks all,

Oregon Spirit

For clarity my foaming problem is in the fermentor. I am using wheat and rye flour for my mash. I am giving my ferments 50% head space and still having some blow off.

Thanks again,

Brad Irwin

Oregon Spirit Distillers

Cheryl- This is an interesting topic and may have to be broken off to another post. What about enzyme use?

I think it's something worth discussing. I don't know how other people think about it.

I don't buy commercial enzymes. After all malt has enzymes :)

When mentioning antifoam I was thinking in terms of chemicals, though vegetable oil I guess technically is a chemical. laugh.gif

If I wanted to make alcohol for fuel or vodka, enzymes probably will be very valuable. I found it interesting that at the ADI conference, the German scientist talking about small craft distillers in Southern Germany using enzymes. It saves energy. And for them that was very important. So for some people it may well be very useful.

Wheat and Rye flour? That's probably the problem. It's ground too fine.

For clarity my foaming problem is in the fermentor. I am using wheat and rye flour for my mash. I am giving my ferments 50% head space and still having some blow off.

Thanks again,

Brad Irwin

Oregon Spirit Distillers