Selling "vouchers" for whiskey

Ish200

Hello!

Has anyone tried selling "voucher" for bottles from a barrel that has not finished aging yet? 

Example: Customer purchases the "voucher" for the full purchase price of a 750ml bottle of port finished rye from barrel#1234 - but you anticipate that the specific barrel will not be ready to be harvested for another year or so......  then in a year or so when you think it is ready to be harvested you harvest and bottle it then you contact the customer letting them know the bottle is ready and they can come in to the distillery, "redeem" that coupon, and walk out with a bottle of whiskey

Would what I am describing be something like the "sale of a warehouse receipt"?

Thanks!

We have always sold "Futures" of one of our wines, we taste a barrel sample of it in the spring and it is available for pickup in the fall, the future is a deal price for a full case. We have done that with 2 spirits, sampling a barrel sample in the summer, option to buy a "future" and then pick-up in November. In my opinion it wasn't really worth the hassle for the spirits unless you have some scarcity of the upcoming release.

On 10/15/2020 at 9:52 AM, Tom Lenerz said:

We have done that with 2 spirits, sampling a barrel sample in the summer, option to buy a "future" and then pick-up in November. In my opinion it wasn't really worth the hassle for the spirits unless you have some scarcity of the upcoming release.

Thank you Tom for the info!