Organic yeast nutrient question

Birster

Using backset will help reduce external nutrient requirements, but also keep in mind that you can cook your old yeast and use it as a nutrient - which should have no problems for certification.

Not only will it save you a tremendous amount of money, realize you are recycling your nutrient in a way that's far "greener".

The very popular Servomyces is dead yeast.

3 hours ago, Silk City Distillers said:

Using backset will help reduce external nutrient requirements, but also keep in mind that you can cook your old yeast and use it as a nutrient - which should have no problems for certification.

Not only will it save you a tremendous amount of money, realize you are recycling your nutrient in a way that's far "greener".

Thanks Silk, we were also planning on using bakset and experimenting with dunders too. So we should be good to go without DAP.

Cheers!

On 10/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

One last question. When feeding cooked yeast, it there a specific rate we should look for?

Thanks,

It's very difficult to provide a dosage recommendation, since there are two factors at play:

1)  How much nutrient do you need to reach optimum?  Refined sugar requires far more nutrient than a grain fermentation using backset.

2)  How concentrated is your yeast slurry?

I'd say a good starting point for a slurry is 2x your yeast pitch weight for molasses based fermentations, and 3x your yeast pitch rate for more refined sugar fermentations.

So, if you are pitching 500g of yeast, pitch 1000-1500g of slurry, and go from there.  Tell-tale signs of nutrient deficiency for rum ferments are slow or sluggish fermentations, stalled fermentation near the end, and sulfur aromas in the wash/distillate.

• 2 years later...

Can i jump in on this thread? I can start my own if required.

I am using distillamax SR, full molly wash (81 litres molly, 160 litres water, 40 litres backset) and distillavite gn.

I have thought many time, the distillavite gn smells just like yeast..

Now at the end of my ferments i have a good bed of settled slurry that I dispose of. I ferment for about a week to 10 days and by this time the slury is thick and settled.

I also use around 15% backset in the next ferment.

I add the backset to the cleaned fermenter right after a distillation, so its screaming hot...

Would it be enough to retain around 500gm of slury (i use around 120gm of fresh yeast) , dump in the hot backset on top of the slury to kill the yeast and not use any added nutrient? the distillavite sr is quite costly.

I think I'll give it a go.