Great Press

StevenD

Steven,

I'm not sure how some former hedge-fund exec's getting written up in a wall street tabloid is "Great Press".

This story just reinforces the widespread belief outside of wall street that folks on the street are out of touch with reality. Ed's story is not unique, except that he's a wall street guy (and likely not unique there either). There is an explosion in artisan distilling in this country ... and lots of folks are making the plunge (some well thought out, some poorly planned) into the small-batch distilling industry. Some will survive and prosper, others will not. What Ed is doing is, while risky, an adventure ... and likely a labor of love.

What this story is NOT is newsworthy ... at least not until he actually accomplishes something other than a couple of batches of hooch. Just because he's a wall street guy does not make his choice something to crow about!

Ed, when you've made an award-winning product that’s in distribution and you’ve shown a profit, then perhaps you should be crowing to your buddies on the street and getting stories written up in wall street tabloids.

In the mean time feel free to participate in this forum, and ask others here for advice, councel, wisdom, etc. ... and Ed, if there is anything I can do to assist you with your project, feel free to e-mail me.

S.

'Tirador', just to let you know, Ed is an active member of this forum and has been for a year longer than you. ("JarHead") Ed's story is unique, he didn't just buy a fancy still and start making 'hooch.' He had to sell his car to raise money to get started. He found a small and inexpensive warehouse unit in an industrial area, bought a very small still, and used stainless tanks, and then made several stills using stainless 55 gallon drums which he set up with electrical heaters, and Amphora Society PDA-2 and stripping columns. Then he spent a long time fermenting out local NY State honey and learning to make high quality spirits, including vodka, gin (made from the honey base, not NGS), and honey brandy. He is one of just 3-4 distilleries in the US using honey as his base product.

I went and visited Ed right when he was about to open for business. I am not a vodka fan, but as a spirits expert and judge, I thought he was making excellent vodka; and he was working on a gin recipe that showed great promise. It could have gone on the market that day, but he tweaked the recipe for a long time. Within a few months of opening Ed had gotten rated with a '90' by the BTI for his vodka. That's pretty darn good and something to crow about. Then as sales increased and he needed a larger still, he didn't rush out and buy a Carl or Holstein, but had Jesse of Trident Welding, another active member here, make him a custom still to his specs. Then he sold his equipment to other starting distillers for a very low price, so they could have a chance to achieve their dream. Ed is NOT another Wall Street guy out of touch with reality. He is doing a labor of love, taking risks, etc. Now THAT is newsworthy and the story that should have been covered.

Steven,

I'm not sure how some former hedge-fund exec's getting written up in a wall street tabloid is "Great Press".

This story just reinforces the widespread belief outside of wall street that folks on the street are out of touch with reality. Ed's story is not unique, except that he's a wall street guy (and likely not unique there either). There is an explosion in artisan distilling in this country ... and lots of folks are making the plunge (some well thought out, some poorly planned) into the small-batch distilling industry. Some will survive and prosper, others will not. What Ed is doing is, while risky, an adventure ... and likely a labor of love.

What this story is NOT is newsworthy ... at least not until he actually accomplishes something other than a couple of batches of hooch. Just because he's a wall street guy does not make his choice something to crow about!

Ed, when you've made an award-winning product that’s in distribution and you’ve shown a profit, then perhaps you should be crowing to your buddies on the street and getting stories written up in wall street tabloids.

In the mean time feel free to participate in this forum, and ask others here for advice, councel, wisdom, etc. ... and Ed, if there is anything I can do to assist you with your project, feel free to e-mail me.

S.

I met Ed at the NYISC Press Event where he was showing his vodka, which had won an award, a Silver I believe. They didn't give out many awards at that competition, so I think he did pretty well. And he is out there selling his product himself. Whether he's making a profit yet, I don't know. But a lot of startups don't make a profit right away and anyone thinking a distillery is going to be somehow different is fooling themselves.

Yes, for some people that don't have a lot of startup capital and all the difficulties that go along with that, it may well be frustrating that some others are better financed, get to have better equipment, a nicer facility, etc. That's life. Rather than spend time complaining about the success of others, go create your own success. It might even help you put money in the bank someday.

Hey folks,

I want to voice what I know about Ed also. He called me up to talk about the still you see in the video. He had some questions for me, but also instructed me(in a loving and militant way) exactly what he wanted for his still. It is a mixture of our efforts that makes that still work so well for producing his gold medal vodka. which I was enjoying a glass of when I read this thread. I got half way thru the thread before I realized that it was Ed Tiedge that was being discussed. Ed is all the things Jonathon wrote so well about. He is a great example of putting the rubber to the road. I hope that he took the remarks posted as words from someone who doesnt know how genuine he is. I have met many hard working and determined distillers at quite a few places across the eastern US, I am proud to know Ed. He deserves all the success that comes his way. We have never met face to face. Only in phone and e-mail conversations. I cant wait to shake the mans hand someday. Keep the faith Ed! VERY nice press, excellent Vodka!