Ready to leap

Panama Jack

I have been on this site for about a year, have talked to a lot of people about stills and am now ready to move forward. Wondering if anyone in the North East/Mid Atlantic area is having a class on their operation in February or March. I am looking for a 1-3 day deal to observe an actual operation. Also talked to NJ ABC and they claimed there are distilleries in NJ. Anyone know who they are? I think Laird does rectification in NJ but was not aware of any actual distilleries? Plan to start the tried a true method, turn our some vodka, shine and gin while I put some spirits in Oak. Long term goal is 2-3 year aged spirits. Also may be looking for someone to produce a chocalate liquer under contract until our operation grows and expands. Finally, I have some contacts in India looking for wine and spirits. If anyone is looking to sell some exports e-mail me and I will reach out to you. Happy New Year.

I have been on this site for about a year, have talked to a lot of people about stills and am now ready to move forward. Wondering if anyone in the North East/Mid Atlantic area is having a class on their operation in February or March. I am looking for a 1-3 day deal to observe an actual operation. Also talked to NJ ABC and they claimed there are distilleries in NJ. Anyone know who they are? I think Laird does rectification in NJ but was not aware of any actual distilleries? Plan to start the tried a true method, turn our some vodka, shine and gin while I put some spirits in Oak. Long term goal is 2-3 year aged spirits. Also may be looking for someone to produce a chocalate liquer under contract until our operation grows and expands. Finally, I have some contacts in India looking for wine and spirits. If anyone is looking to sell some exports e-mail me and I will reach out to you. Happy New Year.

This is Chip Weismiller from Ultra Pure, the supplier of high proof spirit bases for distillers and rectifiers. Please call me and I think I can get you someone to make your liquier. The office phone is (877)77ULTRA.

Sincerely, Chip

If you aren't able to turn up any classes in the mid-atlantic area, you might want to consider shooting out to Colorado for Downslope Distilling's weekend classes in Feb. and March. See Mitch's post: http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1424

Flights from Philly to Colorado can usually be had for around $300, there are at least 5 other distilleries on the front range that you could visit, and you'd be getting a vacation from all that snow (okay, that's a lie).

-lenny

I just got off the phone with Bill Owens and he said that he isn't aware of any actual artisanal distilleries in NJ. He said there may be some in the pipeline, but not that he is aware of. There are some DSP's registered in NJ, but they are rectifiers or bottlers, not actual small spirits producers/distillers. (By the way, Bill also told me that the national count of small distilleries is now up to 240!)

If you aren't able to turn up any classes in the mid-atlantic area, you might want to consider shooting out to Colorado for Downslope Distilling's weekend classes in Feb. and March. See Mitch's post: http://adiforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1424

Flights from Philly to Colorado can usually be had for around $300, there are at least 5 other distilleries on the front range that you could visit, and you'd be getting a vacation from all that snow (okay, that's a lie).

-lenny

My next step will be to hop an airplane if I can not find something local in the next month. Txs.

while you have the time and energy now, go to whatever distilling class you can. Travel should not be an issue considering your long term investment. Go to ADI Conference. Attend the workshops put on by the still manufacturers. Visit whomever you can. including us in Gloucester, MA. Give us a call to visit.

By the way, check your state regs regarding differences in being a wholesaler/importer/exporter, reletive to state lines, and a distiller. In Massachusetts the distillers license alone does not allow you to bring in contracted work.

while you have the time and energy now, go to whatever distilling class you can. Travel should not be an issue considering your long term investment. Go to ADI Conference. Attend the workshops put on by the still manufacturers. Visit whomever you can. including us in Gloucester, MA. Give us a call to visit.

By the way, check your state regs regarding differences in being a wholesaler/importer/exporter, reletive to state lines, and a distiller. In Massachusetts the distillers license alone does not allow you to bring in contracted work.

Thank you will contact you next time I am in the area, family is originally from Bristol RI. Got the legal part down and have a background in organic chemistry, now working on the art. Went to last years ADI conf and may make this one, trying to save $ on long travel to put into equipment.

I believe you might find some luck with Catoctin Creek Distillery in Purcellville, VA. They hold distillery operations classes on a somewhat regular basis, that tend to run for about 6 hours in length and cost @$125. They touch upon all aspects of their operations and are usually distilling something during the class. It's run by Scott and Becky Harris, who have a very nice operation. I attended their class in October and found it to be very worthwhile. You can check the schedule for their next course on their website at:

http://catoctincreekdistilling.com

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am glad to see your note on exporting. We at ArtisanCraftDistilling.com cover this in our workshop. We also have acess to some folks for export assitance in the state of WA. But we are always looking for opportunities to help our attendees. As you know 95% of the world's market is outside of the good ole USA.

So if you have some contacts I would appreciate some information. One of our attendees in our September 2010 was from China, he may be extremely interested in your information which I will be happy to forward.

Thanks again for a great post.

Allan Peterson - Artisan Craft Distilling

artisancraftdistilling@gmail.com