Pre-prohibition mash bill and DP

Bolverk

Howdy all, 

I'm hoping you can help me understand something...

So I crunched all the numbers on the Crampton and Tolman papers, and I see that the average ratio for the ryes is 85r/15mb, and bourbons 75c/13r/11mb... but when I run the DP on those recipes, they are severely lacking in power (even using distillers malt which wasn't available until like the 1950s) needed to convert the mash . How were they getting proper conversion if they weren't using exogenous enzymes?

Would it make sense if they were shooting for a lower starting gravity back then? I've heard that was the case back in the day. I've thought about how I'd achieve full conversion without enzymes, and a significantly lower starting gravity - so less grain for the same volume of mash would definitely be my starting point. More for viscosity reasons than anything. I'd still shoot for ~15% mb in this hypothetical scenario though. Just a thought!

I've read a 5-6% beer was common for the time, but percentage wise the amount of malt in each is the same whether it a 5% or a 10%. Based on the modern DP of malts these bills don't have enough enzymes to convert until you start getting closer to 25% malt.

I feel like I'm missing something stupid obvious. Maybe it's a longer mash time and thin beer, like 5-6%, but mashed for several hours?

49 minutes ago, Pofarmer said:

Thanks for that! It kinda confirms the following... 

In speaking with whiskey historian, that low/incomplete conversion leaves more flavored starchy bits in your beer, thus leading to a more flavorable spirit.

It makes sense now