Jump to content

kleclerc77

Members
  • Content Count

    159
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    8

kleclerc77 last won the day on November 11 2020

kleclerc77 had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

15 Neutral

About kleclerc77

  • Rank
    Distiller
  • Birthday March 15

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Massachusetts
  • Interests
    Trumpets, bookmarks

Recent Profile Visitors

3,254 profile views
  1. @Bier Distillery I guess 'louched' out of solution would be a better verb than 'shocked'. I use shock because it can happen very suddenly and I must've heard it described as such at some point.
  2. It's oils that have been shocked out of solution and will not re-dissolve. Once they have come out of solution, getting them back in solution is challenging. The best way we have found (without chill filtering, anyway) is as soon as you notice any haze/flocc, bring the proof up with higher proof spirits. Heating and agitating can also help, but maybe not permanently. It's the cold that really does it for us. Because of the extreme cold temps in the winter, we find ourselves needing to bottle at a higher proof. If you're not willing to make that trade-off, chill filtration may be your only fool
  3. Did you bring it straight from 170 down to 100? Try stepping the proof down more gradually to prevent flocc/haze, especially when approaching that 100 proof mark or lower.
  4. That sounds like a solution for smaller set ups that are less likely to have steam jackets, and less likely to have agitation. Lack of agitation or immersed electric heating elements will lead to some gnarly scorching when there are solids in there. Scorching like that leads to off flavors and makes an absolute mess of the still.
  5. Like most things here, there's a safe and an unsafe way to run anything. I'm sure you're doing it safely. Back to OP @Golden Beaver Distillery's question - how many plates are you running on your setup to achieve 190+?
  6. Yes. I have the deph pretty much wide open on the first column, and when every plate is bubbling away happily I'll start to slowly dial back the deph until vapor can get by into the next column. I then do the same thing with the second column into the condenser. I think our biggest issue with maintaining 190 proof/equilibrium between columns is inconsistent steam pressure. It doesn't make too much of a difference with everything else, it's just touchy here and there, but with a process as finnicky as vodka distillation, the inconsistencies in steam pressure make it tough. Luckily, I mostly mak
  7. @dmacnz Just checking back in here... I found that the best recalibration I could do was selecting the "factory adjustment" tab under "adjustments". My water calibration wasn't doing the trick, I must have had bad technique or was doing something wrong. Selecting the factory adjustment now has it back to agreeing with our approved hydrometers and thermometers.
  8. The general consensus seems to be you'll need 18-20 theoretical plates to achieve 190+. We have 18 theoretical (two side by side eight plate columns both topped with dephlegmators) and I can achieve 190+ but not for the whole run. I think you'll have trouble achieving 190+ with your setup without making up for your lack of plates with some packing.
  9. You can't use that for your final proof for a reason. Ours also tends to be about one proof degree off of our readings when using approved hydrometers and thermometers - especially when the temperature of the spirit is ~5F off of 60F either way. The DMA's temp correction is pretty good, but not perfect. I have, however, done the same thing, and noticed a couple products that are over 10 proof degrees off. That was clearly a proofing error on the side of the distillery.
  10. Sure do! They've been wicked helpful in developing our mash protocol. Their enzymes are simple and effective with our raw, coarse ground grains. Plus there's something comforting in talking yeast physiology with someone with a heavy southern twang. I can't recommend them enough.
  11. I have seen the introduction of 50MLs to the lineup literally make a head distiller get up and quit. Very dramatic, lol. That being said, I see 50 ML sample packs fly off the shelves during the holidays. The rest of the year, not so much. You can also advertise the fact that they can be brought on an airplane, being under 3 oz.
  12. It sounds like your enzymes aren't being used to their maximum potential. Wheat gel temp is in the 160F range, you shouldn't need to cook it to death to get good conversion. Our enzyme supplier (also a large distillery) suggests not cooking above a grain's required gel temp for both flavor and efficiency reasons. I can see a lot of dough balls / clumping happening if you add your wheat to a 185 degree mash. I would aim to not denature your Alpha enzymes (or get a more robust one), and pitch the wheat down in the 160-170F range. we do that with our raw wheat and get a full conversion.
  13. We've learned to embrace the local microbiome here. Out of everything, that's something that no other distillery will be able to replicate. I like the way our ferments end dry and sour, and we lose that nice sourness in the finished ferment when we were nuking the tanks with caustic and/or P3. If you strike everything just right and get your ferment going nice and quickly, you shouldn't have to worry about microbial competition for sugar right off the bat. I make sure to get all of the little nooks and crannies - temp probe sockets, etc, when cleaning. Occasionally I'll let hot water and caust
  14. Right! I barely use caustic at all anymore. I love the fact that I have almost completely eliminated its use here. The less gnarly chemicals, the better.
×
×
  • Create New...