Small Distiller Sponsorships at Tales of the Cocktail

Many of you know Max Watman and me. Max is author of "Chasing the White Dog," I wrote history and novice distiller's guide called "Moonshine," and we've both spoken at ADI conferences. We are, to our marrow, advocates for craft distilling and instigators of good drinks. We're also sharing the podium this summer at Tales of the Cocktail (www.talesofthecocktail.com), the annual gathering of spirits professionals and lay enthusiasts in New Orleans.

Our topic? America's new distilleries. You guys, our friends.

And we want to invite to you share the limelight with us. Here's what we're thinking. These sessions run about 90 minutes and are a combination of talking, taking audience questions, and sampling products. Sessions start early and go on all day, most drawing several hundred attendees who are bartenders, journalists, bloggers, industry professionals, civilian enthusiasts, and distillers from around the world.

Sponsorship for one of these sessions runs $5,500. We know that's too much for almost any small distillery. Big spirits companies can afford to pick up the tab to be the sole sponsor of a session. We thought — in keeping with our love of small distilleries and local artisans — that we could generate enough interest from a consortium of American craft distillers to pony up for the sponsorship. If we could get ten distilleries to contribute $550 each, there's no need to ask for sponsorship from the big guys — which, frankly, could go against the spirit of the session.

Ann Tuennerman, founder of Tales, and her staff are already working on finding a single sponsor, so while I don't have a hard deadline, it sounds like once she finds someone, the whole craft distiller consortium/syndicate idea is moot. So if you're interested, sooner is definitely better than later.

So, what do you think? It's a chance to get your name and your products in front of an audience thirsty to know more about spirits. Why not show them the best of what America's cooking these days?

If you're in — or just interested — email me (moonshinearchives@gmail.com) or, for those of you who know us, call either Max or me. We're going to be talking about you anyway, why not join the conversation?

America's New Distilleries (abstract):

In the last ten years the number of American distilleries has grown from a few dozen to over 200. All around America, people are re-inventing gin, delivering exciting new brandies, expanding the spectrum of American whiskey. At the same time, the industry is full of paper tigers, false starts, and vanity projects. We’ll separate the wheat from the chaff in the current scene, and look out in to the future. Big spirits companies have started buying the little guys: what will that do?

--

Matthew B. Rowley

Mobile +1.215.432.4348

skype & twitter: mbrowley

http://www.whiskeyforge.com

http://www.matthew-rowley.com

Max Watman

twitter: max_watman

http://theoceanofintemperance.blogspot.com

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-watman/#blogger_bio

Hi Matt & Max, I think it's a great idea. As one of the collaborating writers for Tales of the Cocktail for the past three years, I have seen how powerful these sessions and seminars can be. This is a great way for the smaller spirits producers be a part, at a much lower rate. I also think your session will dovetail well with another session Ann is planning. I am pasting it to follow.

Jonathan

======================================================================================================================

Tales of the Cocktail

Shake Things Up

July 20-24, 2011

Bartenders create unbelievable cocktails on a nightly basis. Once a year the most influential minds in mixology come together to shake up the entire industry at Tales of the Cocktail®. Now in its ninth year, Tales of the Cocktail has grown into the world’s premier cocktail festivalan annual meeting place for cocktail professionals to share ideas, techniques, new products and more. There’s no better way to get your brand in front of the industry’s elite than being a Tales of the Cocktail sponsor.

In addition to the exposure your brand receives, a Tales of the Cocktail sponsorship is an investment in the future of cocktails. The proceeds from this summer’s events will be reinvested into the hospitality industry through the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society. NOCCPS funds educational opportunities for up and coming cocktail professionals with programs like the Flo Woodward Memorial Scholarship and the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship.

Meet the Craft Distillers Presented by American Distilling Institute and Tales of the Cocktail

In the last decade, the number of small distillers in the U.S. grew from a few dozen to more than two hundred today, now making an array of products from white spirits such as vodka and gin to wide varieties of liqueurs, aged whiskeys and brandies. Tales of the Cocktail was founded on entrepreneurial spirit and in 2011 will give our attendees a special opportunity to meet the artisans of our country’s craft distillers. Each of these craft distillers is producing alcoholic beverage spirits in annual quantities of fewer than 50,000 proof gallons using a pot still.

At this event you will get a rare opportunity to:

 Meet the distillers and makers for each spirit

 Learn about their ingredients, what they are, how they are harvested, transported and stored

 Learn about their process of making the spirit from the neutral spirit to the aging and finishing process

 Learn about their equipment, stills, barrels, bottling, labeling and innovations

 Discuss with them their unique methods, processes, and what brought them into this industry.

Each of these spirits is created by an individual working with small hand operated equipment.

Craft Distiller Showcase

 Friday, July 22, 2011

 4:30pm-7:00pm

 Capacity—300-400

Location Hotel Monteleone

Sponsorship Benefits Provided by Tales of the Cocktail:

Direct Mail and Collateral:

 Name Inclusion in Tales of the Cocktail promotional materials

o 25,000 Event announcement postcards

o 15,000 Tales of the Cocktail programs created and designed by Savuer Magazine

o One signature recipe per sponsor label featured in the 2011 Tales of the Cocktail E-book

Advertising and Public Relations:

 Name inclusion as a sponsor in all print ads

 Name inclusion as a sponsor in all public relation materials distributed to all print, broadcast and electronic media

Online Exposure:

 Logo inclusion on the TalesoftheCocktail.com event website with direct links to your site

 Logo inclusion on the pages about your sponsored events with direct links to your site

 Craft distiller photo and bio featured on Tales of the Cocktail website

On-Site Exposure:

 Opportunity for product branding at the event with décor and other items at your station.

 Logo inclusion on welcome signage and table signage at the event

 First hour for media, distributors, presenters and other Tales of the Cocktail VIP’s to meet and sample your craft products

On the Rocks Sponsorship Fee includes the following:

 2 cases of FIJI Water per station

 One Hotel Monteleone banquet server per two tables

 Hotel Linens (cream color)

 Kold Draft ice

 Ice bucket or ice tub per station

 Cocktail napkins

 Glassware

 One dump/spit bucket on each station

 Two Tables that are —6’ x 30”, one in front of you and one behind you

 One Tales of the Cocktail Volunteer per two tables

 Photographer to documents the event and take a photo of your area

Other Benefits:

 One sponsor badge

 Additional event tickets and merchandise may be purchased at a 20% discount. Some restrictions apply.

 Discounted hotel rates and packages at the Hotel Monteleone and other partner hotels

Sponsor Obligations:

 $1,000 to the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society (NOCCPS).

o NOCCPS is a 501c3, EIN 84-1701381, donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.

 Submit photo and bio of distiller for the Tales of the Cocktail website

 Brand item or promotional item for inclusion in the Lagniappe Lounge at Tales of the Cocktail. SWAG is given to all media and presenters. Estimated quantity is 500 -600 pieces.

 Cross-promotional support on applicable channels such as website, newsletters, email databases, etc.

About Tales of the Cocktail

Tales of the Cocktail is the world’s premier cocktail festival, bringing together the most respected minds in mixology for five days of cocktails, cuisine and culture. Held annually in New Orleans, this event has something for cocktail professionals and enthusiasts alike with a spirited schedule of seminars, dinners, competitions, parties and special events where brands showcase their latest products. Now in its ninth year, Tales of the Cocktail returns with another round of events all perfectly paired with some of the best cocktails ever made. Shake things up at Tales of the Cocktail 2011, July 20-24.

About the New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society

The New Orleans Culinary and Cultural Preservation Society is a non-profit organization committed to preserving the unique culture of cocktails and cuisine in New Orleans and beyond. Since it’s founding in 2006, NOCCPS has supported members of the hospitality industry through educational opportunities such as the Flo Woodward Scholarship and the Cocktail Apprentice Scholarship Program, as well as the production of events like Tales of the Cocktail.

Jonathan ~

That's great news. A "Meet the Craft Distillers" soirée would dovetail so well with the session. That Friday is going to be a popular day, but let's see if Max and I can't claim a time slot right before the ADI/Tales sponsored event. We can make a whole afternoon of it. Evening, rather. Aw, who am I kidding? Night.

I'll ask Ann who is on so far. I told her that I probably won't have my new place up and running for this year unless a miracle occurs and we get our state permits by then. Which I doubt since we are applying for the A-1 Small Distillery, D Farm Distillery, and Winery permits all at the same time.

• 1 month later...
Guest Liberty Bar - Seattle

Fantastic - I look forward to seeing many of you at Tales this year. It really is a great way to meet some of the important people, the purchasers and decision-makers in different regions.