Heaven Hill To Market White Dog.

For everyone wondering about whether or not 'white whiskey' has legs as a product type, consider this.

Heaven Hill announced today the first two releases in the Trybox Series of New Make Whiskeys. The new Trybox Series, named after the copper and glass “tasting station” where new make whiskey flows off the still, offers up several styles of Heaven Hill’s world famous American Whiskeys. Each is taken straight off the still, before aging in a charred oak barrel—the same way legendary father and son Master Distillers Parker and Craig Beam taste-test them. (This is all straight from the press release.)

The first two, as you would imagine, are a rye-recipe bourbon white dog and a rye white dog. They should begin to appear in stores in May and will be distributed nationally. All releases in the series will be in 750ml bottles, packaged three to a case, at the "full traditional barrel entry proof of 125, or 62.5% alcohol/volume."

The suggested national average retail price will be $24.99.

And apparently nobody else in the US makes whiskey, according to the press release.

"....as Heaven Hill Distilleries is the only American Whiskey producer that distills Bourbon, Rye, Corn and Wheat Whiskeys."

Just to keep you informed on the fact everyone else produces alcohol in water I guess.

Thanks to chuck for another puff piece hyping up the establishment. Everyone can rush out to buy unaged whiskey from the guys who can afford to age it for years, but want to gobble up market share wherever possible.

And apparently nobody else in the US makes whiskey, according to the press release.

"....as Heaven Hill Distilleries is the only American Whiskey producer that distills Bourbon, Rye, Corn and Wheat Whiskeys."

Just to keep you informed on the fact everyone else produces alcohol in water I guess.

Continuing in my role as evil incarnate...

The basis of Heaven Hill's claim is that no other major makes all four types. Only Heaven Hill makes straight wheat whiskey and Heaven Hill is the only one that makes corn whiskey for sale, although others make it for blending purposes.

Continuing in my role as evil incarnate...

The basis of Heaven Hill's claim is that no other major makes all four types. Only Heaven Hill makes straight wheat whiskey and Heaven Hill is the only one that makes corn whiskey for sale, although others make it for blending purposes.

But they don't say that.

I know, it's just the usual half-truth advertising fluff, but folks just need to point out the deceptive practices of those in the industry. Ranks right up there with politics.

But they don't say that.

I know, it's just the usual half-truth advertising fluff, but folks just need to point out the deceptive practices of those in the industry. Ranks right up there with politics.

...and would anyone deny that elements of the micro-distilling community are doing their best to add to that heritage?

Porter,

The wording of that sentence you quote is ambiguous. I can be read to mean that they are the only bourbon makers, the only rye makers, the only corn whiskey makers and the only wheat whiskey makers, which everyone should know is bogus, or it can just as easily read that the are the only distiller to make all of those types of whiskeys, which is true.

Chuck, they are currently the only wheat whiskey makers, but Koval and Death's Door are both coming out with aged versions of their wheat based whiskeys soon.

Well, I'll raise my hand. And I'm sure there are many others. We at Ryan & Wood are making, and currently aging a wheat whiskey. In fact as soon as label approval comes throught we intend to start the launch process. We have two barrels where we want it. I'm sorry I did not commit more assets to the product a few years back.

Historical records for the distilleries here in the town of Walton between 1797 and 1830 indicate that rye and wheat whiskies were produced. I've considered producing an all wheat whiskey (wheat malt + wheat grain, no barley). I've got the grain to make all of, oh, 10-12 gallons. I know HH is shaking in their boots now! laugh.gif

I'm not sure that the HH white dog is any kind of flattery towards micros or craft distillers. It's probably meant to compete with Buffalo Trace's White Dog. But I'm sure they'll be glad if they fill up the liquor store shelves with their stuff (and even BT's as well). Then when the little local micro comes along with their twice as expensive white dog, they'll find those slots on the shelf filled.

Thanks for keeping us informed Chuck -- I honestly don't have the time to distill, work my second job AND search through all the press releases to find out about new products -- so its nice to have you post them up here when relevant.

I read it as HH saying they are the only ones to make all of the above.... Still, shoddy.

Bob, let me know when you guys come out with the wheat whiskey, I would love to try some and its only 2.5 hours to Boston from here.

Thanks.

I think they're throwing down the gauntlet. You want to sell 'white whiskey'? Well here is our white whiskey, try to top it! Not just on the assumption that yours is better because you made it and cause you're little and junk and of course your stuff is better, but side by side, face to face. Here's what comes out of our stills, since that seems to be the currency these day. Compare new make to new make.

Mellow corn is a HH product.

I have been trying to get into the habit of saying "the only major distillery that..." when that's the point. You can point to some micro who's doing anything, after all, which is what's so great about it.

HH is the only major that makes all four types. It is the only major that makes wheat whiskey and it is the only major that makes corn whiskey to sell as corn whiskey, although others make it for blends.

There is also one major, LDI, that is supplying a lot of the Potemkins and it's not always possible to know what whiskey of theirs is out there, but so far as I know no one is selling LDI's corn.

Those of you who are out in the market know how much bartenders love this stuff. They're going after your customers but many other people too, like the people who do their own aging at home.