Mash Cooling

nick jones

I'm looking at beginning to distill on grains for some of our products, and I was wondering what other distillers are doing to cool down mash for yeast pitching and fermentation. I can't imagine that a plate heat exchanger would work very well, but would a shell and tube work?

Our batch size will be around 500 gals.

Nick

We do roughly 150 gal of liquid + solids and we do two things, stir and toss in a few blocks of homemade ice from 1 gal buckets. It can still take a bit to cool the mash, but so far so good. Just me guessing here, but I'm thinking that @ 500 gal, you won't be able to go that route (someone out there please correct me if I'm wrong), I'm thinking you pretty much have to do a coil cooling system of some sort, as in $$$. One day I'm sure I'll go that route, but for now it's do what we know and can afford.

There are some plate and frame chillers out there that can handle solids (either in plate design or gasket thickness). They can be pricey depending on you cooling medium (water or glycol). Tube in shell coolers, in my experience, are about the same price or a bit cheaper but at the expense of size (again, based on cooling medium). A cooling jacket/coil is your cheapest route.

Order some flexible copper and make a coil cooling tube yourself. You can hook it up to the hose and pump the cold water through the mash. Your hardware store should have everything you need except for the flexible copper tubing depending on the gage you want.

Order some flexible copper and make a coil cooling tube yourself. You can hook it up to the hose and pump the cold water through the mash. Your hardware store should have everything you need except for the flexible copper tubing depending on the gage you want.

brother, not trying to hurt your feelings, but that probably ain't gonna work for 500 gal. Do the math and I'm just going to guess that you'd need 3 or 4 inch copper tubing, or so much length that it'd hit the thousands with how much that stuff can run you, but at least your hardware store would appreciate it!

Shell and tube will work great as long as you use 1.5" or greater (assuming you're keeping grain in, not using wash). Anything smaller than that and you could have some clogging issues.

I've never seen a plate and frame that worked very well with any solids content. I think good cleaning and sanitation would be the real issue with one of those.

Then we go back to sanitation and infestation, as in a popular recent thread. 500 gallons, producing at an industrial rate? Look into a jacked mixing tanks. You'll save in the long run. Trident Welding was doing some Tube in Shell apparatus, if your water is cheap enough to work with.

Hey all,

This is something that I had an engineer do the figures on. I have a simple design for an exchanger that will cool wort while you pump it from one tank to another. It was not all that expensive and the water used for cooling should be cycled into your hot liquor tank. The design is not well suited for preheating a batch while cooling another. There is too much risk for contamination and difficulty in cleaning. Thanks Bob for the help in the early testing of this type of heat exchanger. The new design is suited for you also. I have to make it down for a visit soon. Its been too long.

Jes

Hey all,

This is something that I had an engineer do the figures on. I have a simple design for an exchanger that will cool wort while you pump it from one tank to another. It was not all that expensive and the water used for cooling should be cycled into your hot liquor tank. The design is not well suited for preheating a batch while cooling another. There is too much risk for contamination and difficulty in cleaning. Thanks Bob for the help in the early testing of this type of heat exchanger. The new design is suited for you also. I have to make it down for a visit soon. Its been too long.

Jes

Yup, about a year. Last 4th of July? For the parades?