Mashing In!

Okperioimplant

So back to the water thing. I think i figured out the hot water for cleaning and sparge water. Question about keeping water hot enough in a mash tun. Do i need a controlled heating element or controlled heat source for mash tun, or can i just use 180 degree water and let it just come down naturally when i add grains and normal heat loss? I understand that this might be a technique question also. Thanks.

Yes to the strike water starting high and dropping (typically around 15 degrees for most) naturally. Even without some sort of insulation on your mashtun, thermal mass will keep the temp within a few degrees of where it settles during your scarification rest.

If you've not dabbled in home brewing beer before, you might want to give it a shot. It's a lot less costly to figure out all things related to mashing, grain handling, temperatures and fermentation on the small scale — plus, you'll end up with lots of beer!

Thanks Lenny, i am essentially doing that with the beer experimentation thing, but just going to keep it moving forward. I am starting it all really small anyway to get a feel for it, as well as picking everyone's brain :)

a few other basic mashing principals worth taking into account...

1. You don't want your mash temp (assuming malt barley) to exceed 170f or you run the risk of denaturing the enzymes.

2. Your scarification rest does not need to exceed 1 hour. In reality, most of the conversion is said to happen within the first 15 or so mins.

3. Scarification temperature matters a lot. If you rest at 155f vs. 145f you are going to get a far different (and less fermentable wash). I rest at 148f.

find a local homebrew club and find out who the geeky electric brewer is and have him show you his RIMS system..... if you want a large RIMS, http://conical-fermenter.com/products/mash-tuns/ (scroll down a ways, this thing takes a 24" long 6KW element that is ultra-low watt density) I have one of these that I am building a controller for the local brewpub. I have a homemade 14" 4500W one can keep a 15 gal beer mash within a few tenths of a degree for an hour, ramp up or down, whatever you want.... side benefit is you can get a super-clear runoff if you are not fermenting on the grain...