what to look for in a used column still

jlevac

Ok, we are shopping around for new and used stills and a 250g Column still has caught our eyes. It was built about 10 years ago. I was wondering what should we look for when we inspect it. It is boxed right now and hasn’t produced for less then 2 years.

Thanks

Ok, we are shopping around for new and used stills and a 250g Column still has caught our eyes. It was built about 10 years ago. I was wondering what should we look for when we inspect it. It is boxed right now and hasn’t produced for less then 2 years.

Thanks

I'd recommend that you look for someone who knows what to be looking for. There's no substitute for experience, and in the scheme of things, a few hours of a qualified person's time can save you LOTS of money. Let me know if you'd like me to look at it for you.

Nick

Jean,

What's the MFG of the proposed still? Do you have all the details on the column specifications (tray numbers, tray type, column dia?) How does this fit with the product line you're planning on offering, for example, is it suited for making vodka, whiskey, or botanicals...

Also, are there any other peripherals included (CIP system, agitator, steam boiler, etc?)

All factors to consider, as these can save you a lot of money in your build out cost when you install and commission the unit.

Please shoot me an email with the info if you'd like, and I'd be happy to offer any insight I can.

Cheers

Also, if you have pictures of the still, you may want to try and contact the manufacturer directly and see what they can tell you about it. Now granted they may have a bias against the used stuff, but I think you can get some good information from them.

If the main construction is copper or brass, then lead content *maybe* an issue. Older stills were often assembled with lead bearing solder and brazes. You can get a simple lead detection wipe kits from Walmart (or Bunnings if in Aust).

Lead content in beverages is closely monitored in EU and most of Asia, I cant speak to US regulations.