bottles in boxes

daveflintstone

In speaking with Vitro Packaging, they recommended to ship bottles (imprinted 750ml) to me in the 12pack cardboard cases I would be using. I'd remove the bottles, fill them, and replace back in the cases ready to send out.

I had not thought of this before. It seems like a good idea to me, but are there reasons for not doing this? Is this common? Does anyone else do this?

Obviously from my questions, I have no experience with any type of packaging, and would appreciate any comments.

I forgot to mention, they would supply both the bottles and the cases, if that wasn't clear.

What kind of finish (closure) are you using? If it adds height to the bottle, you'll want to make sure there's enough room in the box for the finished bottle.

That's a good point. I'll be using a bar top closure, which Vitro says they can source for me. One stop shop!

That's a good point. I'll be using a bar top closure, which Vitro says they can source for me. One stop shop!

We get one of our bottles pre packaged the same way but carton does not accommodate our bar top. Coop

…I imagine Vitro is already doing this but...

Ask them to pack the bottles neck down in the cases so when you get them you only need to flip box over and get 12 bottles standing-up right away

(save time and energy)

That’s the way we do it!

Ps.

Post the pictures of your box once you get them! :)

I just recieved bottles in cartons from my supplier. Worked out fine enough, but..

Be aware each time the carton is handled, on truck , off truck, fork lift, hand jack, you will have damage to the corners of the pallets. Especially if they are overhanging.

You'll also have some crushing if too many are on a pallet and there is freeboard space for the t-tops.

Not much you can do about this, just be prepared for not having 100% useable cartons.

Talk it all out before pulling the trigger. Shipping costs vs. bulk, Color of carton, How will you brand your carton, etc.

I'll still reorder with cartons until I get a little purchasing power.

I think there was a thread on purchasing cartons here at ADIforums.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Bob

…aaaah good point!

Maybe a few suggestions to help!

Maybe go with a corrugated (full height) divider this will help avoid the crushing a little bit…

Also if there’s a lot of travelling involved maybe ask the supplier or manufacturer to "shield" the pallets with some cardboard.

We basically take the tier sheets we get from our bulk bottles and used them to wrap around the pallets of pre-packed glass on long distances.

Normally glass suppliers have a bunch of these tier sheets.

There are two cons that come to mind regarding getting filled boxes from your bottle supplier.

First, good bottle people such as Pascal (who I've had good experiences with, as an aside) are uncommon and their bottles tend to come from overseas to a facility that might not be close to you. In contrast, cardbox box makers are pretty common and usually close. I'd rather not pay shipping on the cardboard from the remote facility when I can get boxes close to home (in our case, we can pick our cardboard up from the plant ourselves).

Second, as previously mentioned, assembled boxes can take damage more easily during transport than flats can.

On the flip side, the convenience of a one-stop shop and coordinating just one order and shipment is mighty nice.

2 cents,

Andrew

• 1 year later...

All of the major distilleries do exactly what you describe. Glass that's particular to a brand comes in the case shipper for that brand. Generic bottles used by multiple brands come in a generic case shipper. The cases are emptied at the beginning of the bottling line, travel above the line on their own conveyor, and arrive at the other end to receive the full bottles. Tape it up and it's ready to ship.

The box maker fabricates and prints the boxes and ships them flat to the glass maker. They assemble the boxes, insert the dividers, put in the bottles and ship them to the producer.

I've never seen glass delivered any other way.