Ocean Aging - What's the deal?

LDC

Just curious about the regulatory logistics of supposed 'ocean aging' by Rogue, Jefferson's, etc. Say I wanted to throw some barrels on a boat, I'm curious about the bonding requirements, etc. Anybody have any idea?

I heard an interview with the guy from Jefferson. He said that they were required to pay excise tax in advance for the barrels that were carted around the ocean. Apparently 2 barrels were lost as a result of deteriorated bands (ouch - although less maybe less painful since they didin't produce the juice themselves). He said they had to dock and find someone to better secure the remaining barrels with a few wraps of cable.

I heard an interview with the guy from Jefferson. He said that they were required to pay excise tax in advance for the barrels that were carted around the ocean. Apparently 2 barrels were lost as a result of deteriorated bands (ouch - although less maybe less painful since they didin't produce the juice themselves). He said they had to dock and find someone to better secure the remaining barrels with a few wraps of cable.

So is someone going to swim down to the bottom and get them? Isn't that what Jameson did in the commercial ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting... I seem to recall that interview, and I think he alluded to a potentially thirsty crew having something to do with the two lost barrels. That said, interesting note on the tax... I suppose that would make sense, although seems like a very gray area.