Filling capacity of still accounting for foaming?

RyeWater

I am in the process of deciding what size still and ferms. to purchase.

I am going to get a stripping still and then a finishing still.

I plan on fermenting whole grain mash (not sieving out the cracked grains) in my stripping still which i heard can create more foam so my question is if i get a 500 gallon ferm. and a 500 gallon stripping still would i be able to load the full 500 gallons of mash into the stripping still or would i only be able to load like 400 or 450 because of the foaming issue?

Thanks for any advice!

Tyler

Tyler,

There are ways to knock down foaming allowing you to maximize your still charge. But ignoring that, you may want to consider a continuous stripping still at that volume. 500 gallons in a 2 gpm stripping still is only 4+ hours of machine time. Buy 3-500g fermenters, run out 3 stripping runs in a single long day (quicker than you can do in a batch still) and you have a lot more product to run through the finishing still.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

John

Tyler,

There are ways to knock down foaming allowing you to maximize your still charge. But ignoring that, you may want to consider a continuous stripping still at that volume. 500 gallons in a 2 gpm stripping still is only 4+ hours of machine time. Buy 3-500g fermenters, run out 3 stripping runs in a single long day (quicker than you can do in a batch still) and you have a lot more product to run through the finishing still.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

John

I had not done much looking to continuous stills at all. Could you recommend any manufacturers that make a decent product at a decent price? If i run all my wash in 1 day what am I going to do the rest of the week!

My plan was to get 3 or 4 500g ferms, 1 500g stripper and like a 150gal finisher.