barrel shipping question

jlevac

Ok, so we sourced our barrels from the usual suppliers but now i'm trying to figure our shipping costs. We are in Ottawa, Canada and the best quote for a pallet from the Barrel Mill is about 1000$ plus all applicable taxes. So from Minnesota to Ottawa is about 2000km, 1200 miles and 20 hours of driving. Is that 1000$ a fair price (btw it is not barrel mill quoting us).

Thanks

J

It's a bit high, but are they brokering the load though customs, as well?

Happy to see stuff starting in Ottawa! I grew up there (in the Glebe and Centertown) and still go back occasionally to see relatives :-)

That seems high, but the commercial cross border rates have always been bad. I just got 16 barrels in today from Louisville, KY to northern Ny (800 miles) delivered by FedEx and it was $700- total. That's four skids.

If you want you can have them dropped at our location and come pick them up yourselves. We are only an hour and a half from Ottawa//hull. Get a rate quote to zip 13607

Sounds accurate especially going through customs. LTL is how the freight world makes their money, shop the quote with other trucking companies. Youll need to know the freight class of barrels, corresponds to mass&weight

I've had good success working with freightquote.com. Had 10 pallets shipped from KY to NC for about $800. That's much closer and not cross border, so your results may vary. Barrels are heavy! Make sure that your shipping agent is getting the correct freight classification, that can change pricing some.

It's a bit high, but are they brokering the load though customs, as well?

Happy to see stuff starting in Ottawa! I grew up there (in the Glebe and Centertown) and still go back occasionally to see relatives :-)

Hi Natra, you will have to come and take a peak when you come. Cheers J