Anyone recommend a carbon dust filter?

kckadi

Hi, I'm making vodka and have an issue with carbon 'dust' in the vodka after going through my activated carbon granular filter. Anyone have a recommendation where I can buy a sub micron filter suitable for filtering carbon dust out? I am using a gravity fed system and feeding up through the bottom of my filter. I'd like to place filter on the output so the dust is removed before its in my final collection tank.

Thanks.

http://www.gusmerenterprises.com/index.html

call those guys and let them know that you want a Millipore .45 micron and a .22 micron inline filter with the 1.5" sanitary fittings. You can put them right in line with your product, they come in their own housing, and if you backflush them when you are finished they work great. I know a guy that's been using the same ones for 2 years.

They run about 250$ each.

kckadi,

You are applying obsolete static method of carbon treatment, dynamic method of carbon and charcoal treatment. Moreover it is not just simple charcoal, these are special kinds of charcoal, carbon and other kinds sorbents. Dynamic method much more convinient and technological. The method is much more controllable and allow changing flow rates obtain vodka with different organoleptic properties. There are technological decision in order to exclude rise of acet aldehyde when you are operating periodically.

Coconut carbon tends to have less dust than dinosaur carbon and rinsing either type is absolutely necessary to remove fines. If you are flowing upwards, flow rates should be slow enough that you are not bringing media into suspension where it might be agitated and break apart. However, coconut based carbons are less aggressive than their T-Rex counterparts, especially with some organics. They also tend to remove less color. These traits may be desirable for you, they may not be, but it's an option.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion. I'm currently using 12x30 mesh acid washed coconut fiber GAC. My filter is a GAC filter made by Jessie at Trident Welding and is a 4' x 6" SS cylinder. I have my holding tank about 7' high which bottom feeds the filter. I can control the flow rate very precisely and have it set to a slow trickle. I rinsed/flushed/soaked the GAC with boiling water before using for the first time. The first batch filter of 60 gallons worked very well. It made a really nice product, very smooth and drinkable and is selling nicely. It was on the second batch where I had a problem. I rinsed/soaked the same charcoal (yes, I know this does not 'reactivate' the charcoal but I plan on steam flushing it every 3rd or 4th run). I'm going to look at some of the filters suggested above and see if they help.

Valerii, I'm interested in learning more about the 'dynamic' method you suggested. I'm unfamiliar with the term and the technology. Can you post some info on it? Thanks.

We use the same equipment from Jesse. I fill it pretty close to the top and then run RO water through it. We use about 300 liters or more to rinse it. After running the rum through we discard the carbon and start fresh next time. All of the rum goes through a plate filter to remove any carbon remnants before proofing.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, kckadi

Sorry for late my response. I am looking for ways to demonstrate our patented technologies directly at US distilleries. If i find out the possibility to visit US to show it and explain directly at workouts, courses and so on. But at the moment i have not any invitations from your companies. By the way, these technologies are applying a lot of well-known manufacturers in 40 countries of the world. My email is valeriy_dnepr@list.ru. If you give me via email some information as for hourly capacity you need i will give you all interesting for you information, but for me, naturally will be more effective to demonstate how organoleptic properties of different hard alcohol drinks are changed (improve, of course) to a number of distilleries at one time.