Proof Obscuration Question

hagar681

Can anybody tell me what products proof obscuration comes into play with? If we were to make a spiced rum and barrel age it along with our mix of spices and then filter the particulate out, would there be any chance of 400 to 600 grams of solids in the final product?

Or does obscuration just come into play with products such as cream liquors and schnapps, etc.

• 1 month later...

Any and every time what you are proofing isn't exclusively ethyl alcohol and water (save for the obvious esters/alcohols/etc). I've not got the manual in front of me but I believe it's any concentration of solids over 250ppm? To my understanding that includes al barrel aged products, liqueurs, everything that is infused post-distillation. You can use a Velp steam distillation (available through Rudolph Research state-side) or a table top glass distillation kit, or the Pellet Labs kit for a few hundred... Would love to hear an exact answer on this but I don't even know where you'd go to find out the particl concentration outside of a lab...

{Edited} Density Meters such as DDM 2911, and probably DMA 5000, can give you solids concentration but outside of that..