Jalapeno Spirits

HBD

I'm having a problem. I'm working on my fourth batch. Been doing everything from mashing, fermenting & distilling the same. Developmemt, first, second and the beginning of the third batch was all good. The tail end of my third batch tasted like putting ten jalapeno's in your mouth.

I cleaned out the still prior to my fourth batch. When I did so, I found that four heating elements (electric still) had burst. I figured that must be the cause of the jalapeno spirits. I replaced all of the heating elements, cleaned the still out using Sterox, water rinse, soaked it in citric acid, water rinse. Ran the still with water.

Started my fourth batch today and still have jalapeno liquor. This is horrible. Don't know what else to do but tear apart the still and scrub. Any advise and have any of you ran into this before?

I'm having a problem. I'm working on my fourth batch. Been doing everything from mashing, fermenting & distilling the same. Developmemt, first, second and the beginning of the third batch was all good. The tail end of my third batch tasted like putting ten jalapeno's in your mouth.

I cleaned out the still prior to my fourth batch. When I did so, I found that four heating elements (electric still) had burst. I figured that must be the cause of the jalapeno spirits. I replaced all of the heating elements, cleaned the still out using Sterox, water rinse, soaked it in citric acid, water rinse. Ran the still with water.

Started my fourth batch today and still have jalapeno liquor. This is horrible. Don't know what else to do but tear apart the still and scrub. Any advise and have any of you ran into this before?

Does your CIP system and/or cleaning regimen clean out the condenser?

Feel free to contact me to discuss your problem in more depth. I operate my own consulting company catering to the beverage distillers. I have seen many distillation problems in my years working with the big distillers, and I may be able to help you with yours. You can contact me at sw.spiritech@sympatico.ca if you want to share more details about your problem.

-Steve

What are you distilling?...all of the ingredients please...it may be in the details.

We are distilling Baijiu and Asian spirit. Ingredients are sweet rice, our own yeast, amylase and water. I wouldn't think it would be the ingredients, because nothing in the process has changed since development through our third batch.

Hi,

As a winemaker, I am happy to say that I haven't had such problems but here are my 2 cents. It seems that baking soda is the preeminent option for clearing out smells, including peppers. Other ideas can be found at http://housekeeping.about.com/od/kitchen/p/fridgeodors.htm. There's a winemaker in Texas that makes jalapeno wine--let me know if you want me to contact her about this.

Good luck!

Robert

Are you repitching your yeast?

"The Peppers" is normally a malady you find in continuous distillation for vodka. I'd have to check some very old notes, but as I recall, you may be dealing with fermentation problems. I'll try and get back to you later tonight if I can find the info. I need.

Are you repitching your yeast?

"The Peppers" is normally a malady you find in continuous distillation for vodka. I'd have to check some very old notes, but as I recall, you may be dealing with fermentation problems. I'll try and get back to you later tonight if I can find the info. I need.

Every batch is done with a new batch of yeast. Started distilling the same tank after a full day of just doing water. The jalapeno went away yesterday. I'm thinking it was the blown heating elements but still not sure. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry, HBD, I can't find my notes on Peppers. It was from a conversation I had about 10 years ago in a bar with a Seagram's distiller who handled their vodka. For the life of me, I can't recall what led to the peppers....I just remember him telling me that's it's difficult to get rid of when you get them.

Sorry I'm no help.

• 5 weeks later...

Maybe you have some capsaicin oil going rancid in the off take tube of your condenser? Remember capsaicin oil is not soluble in water and the melting point of capsaicin is 65 degrees Centigrade.... Just some thoughts.

Cheers

Marc

Edit by me, I nealy forgot. You may need to burn in your new elements?

Edited by mavnkaf