Blowdown Tank Help

eganter

I'm curious if anyone has a recommendation for an affordable (cheap) small Blowdown Tank in the 21 gallon range to match up to our Crown 18.9 horsepower boiler. These are required in New Jersey and what I'm finding is really going to eat up budget.

Thanks in advance!

I feel your pain eganter. Damn blowdown and feed/condensate tanks cost nearly as much as the boiler itself! Have a look at blowdown separators vs tanks. I've found they can be a bit cheaper (and take up less space). Downside is you've got to feed it water to cool the drainage.

I feel your pain eganter. Damn blowdown and feed/condensate tanks cost nearly as much as the boiler itself! Have a look at blowdown separators vs tanks. I've found they can be a bit cheaper (and take up less space). Downside is you've got to feed it water to cool the drainage.

I wish I could 3d0g, Unfortunately, the Garden State doesn't allow for separators which are a way more affordable option. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Who is telling you they are required, curious.

We are in NJ, running 15.6hp, code compliant, approved, etc etc.

High pressure?

That's interesting. Where are you located. Are you blowing down to a city system or a private tank? Our Mechanical engineer informed us and I've reviewed the code and found no exceptions: https://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/lsse/laws/boiler_law.html#75 ( 12:90-4.7 Steam boiler blowdown tanks and receivers)

I want your inspector.

The rules outline the requirements for when you are using a blowdown system, they don't designate that a blowdown system is required.

You are a batch process steam user - there is no reason you need to operate your boiler 24/7.

Blowdown refers to the discharge of water and steam under pressure, high temperature. The blowdown system is for safety purposes, to provide a safe area for water to flash, so you don't discharge boiling water and steam into the sewer system, or kill someone in the process. Let's say you were someone like Marcal in Elmwood Park, with massive high pressure steam boilers that don't turn off - then yes - you probably need a blowdown system and won't be able to argue otherwise. But a batch process user where your boiler is running 20% of the week?

These rules do not apply if you are draining and refilling a cold boiler, which is not considered blowdown.

If this is a jacket system, and not steam injection, you shouldn't need to regularly "blowdown" either.

My 2 cents, I'm not an engineer, official, or otherwise.