Hello everyone!

I'm a hobbyist and homebrewer, currently investigating the possibility of getting licensed and opening a micro-distillery.

I have degrees in Chemistry and Biochemistry, and manufacturing experience in the pharmaceutical industry. So I feel confident with the technical aspects of distillation and regulatory compliance issues, but realize there is still much more I need to learn about the industry before I can decide if this is something I want to get seriously involved with.

If you've got any general chemistry questions, don't be shy. I'd be happy to trade some scientific advice for a little industry knowledge.

-Max

Welcome Max,

I will give you some advice if you would like it. Read, read, read, then take a class. Go see some distilleries. Get a feel for it.

Bill Owens at www.distilling.com has a class this December. It is not cheap, and is a week long. I took the class a year ago, used vacation from my day job and I am now opening up my own micro-distillery.

You will have access to people doing it now, and many who are looking into distilling. The resources and friends you will gain from it are great.

Good luck, cheers!

www.DrinkValleySpirits.com

Lee

Hello Max Action,

Nice to have the expectational knowledge.

If there is a craft brewer in your area start hanging out there and give a hand when you can. Mash is key.

It may sound odd, but, not all home or textbook theory translates 1 to 1 at the industrial level. Equipment, geography, ect. Can't beat experience. Good luck.

Max,

What BBob says is quite right. You'll never make a great whiskey from a poor mash.

The ADI classes that Lee mentioned happen twice per year, and although they're not cheap, they're worth it...and you'll meet me!

On the subject of processes not scaling 1:1, think through this: your 5 gallon ferment at home works fine, and when you scale that to 50 gallons, you're probably still okay. Scale it to 500 or 5000 gallons, and you're in a different world...different surface/volume ratio. You'll need cooling jackets, temperature controls, circulation, etc. Therefore, scale the entire plant to match your batch sizes. It would be silly to have 50 gallon drums for fermentation and a 500 gallon still, for instance.

And finally, the one thing you absolutely, positively have to understand is this:

this business is not about the craft or the science of making whiskey - it's about selling it.

Will

p.s. Max Action - do you have cousins named Justin Case or Brad Naylor?

We're not related, but I am familiar with those guys...

I like the idea of using a pseudonym for now, Justin Case I decide to get serious about this. I'd want to be first on the scene in my local market, and don't want to show all my cards in case there is any potential competition out there.

I'll definitely take a look at that class, though December is a little too soon for me.

In the meantime, does anyone have a list of recommended reading? I'd prefer to inform myself as much as possible before pestering everyone with too many newbie questions. I'm relatively comfortable with fermentation/distillation processes, equipment, allometric scaling, etc. What I'm hoping to learn more about right now are regulatory issues, bonding, marketing, finances, and so on.

Oh, and I do appreciate that no amount of book-learn'n can substitute actual experience.

Greetings Max!

Hope your micro-distilling endeavors prove successful! When bottling time comes upon you, consider trying the XpressFill. The machine's new design is extremely user-friendly, comes with a digital timer and performs with outstanding precision (within 1.5 ml accuracy) calibrated at the factory. All XpressFill bottle filling machines come with a satisfaction-guaranteed warranty (http://www.xpressfill.com) Wishing you the best of luck!

Max,

What BBob says is quite right. You'll never make a great whiskey from a poor mash.

The ADI classes that Lee mentioned happen twice per year, and although they're not cheap, they're worth it...and you'll meet me!

On the subject of processes not scaling 1:1, think through this: your 5 gallon ferment at home works fine, and when you scale that to 50 gallons, you're probably still okay. Scale it to 500 or 5000 gallons, and you're in a different world...different surface/volume ratio. You'll need cooling jackets, temperature controls, circulation, etc. Therefore, scale the entire plant to match your batch sizes. It would be silly to have 50 gallon drums for fermentation and a 500 gallon still, for instance.

And finally, the one thing you absolutely, positively have to understand is this:

this business is not about the craft or the science of making whiskey - it's about selling it.

Will

The secret of good product being the mash. I would stick to what works to give the best results. I do not plan on competing with Jack Daniels any time soon.

Small batchs good poducts. It would seem to be a no brainer.