Proofing barrel and bottle filling

Just curious, how do you guys feed your bottle filler?  I'm trying to understand how the best way to setup a bottling line.

Do you pump your proofed liquor into an eleveated tank that gravity feeds into the bottle filler?  Or do you simply elevate the proofing tank?

Do you use a pump to feed the bottle filler?  What about fire code issues of electrical equipment near flammable liquid?

Thanks

VB

We sell a lot of fillers to distilleries, so my experience comes from aggregate information. Others on here can (and I hope will) share their own individual experiences.

Most commercial semi-automatic fillers are fed in one of two ways:

1. By gravity as you describe, where the final product is in a tank that is above the level of the filler's reservoir.
  2. By a pump turned on and off by a level control.

The Mori Filler we sell can be fed either way. I would say about 80% of the Mori Fillers we sell are built with a level control/pump. The remaining are fed by gravity. Usually people opt for the gravity version for one reason and one reason only: cost. Unless you designed your facility to use gravity to your advantage, it is much more convenient to leave your tank on the ground.

The other benefit to using a pump to feed the filler is that you can run a final filter pass in-line just prior to bottling. You can't do that with gravity.

As far as the safety issues you ask about, most of the Mori Fillers we sell to distilleries use a completely air-driven level control and pump system that does not require electricity.

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...