Hydrometer re-calibration

Andrew

We just got in a set of H-B Instrument proof hydrometers I'd ordered a while ago from Thomas Scientific. They all come with certificates of calibration, but with one exception, none are dated. The dated one was calibrated in 2004!

This suggests that Thomas Scientific doesn't have much turnover of alcohol hydrometers. It also brings to mind the question: should I send the package off for calibration even though they're new and certified calibrated? 4 years is a long time in a warehouse.

We just got in a set of H-B Instrument proof hydrometers I'd ordered a while ago from Thomas Scientific. They all come with certificates of calibration, but with one exception, none are dated. The dated one was calibrated in 2004!

This suggests that Thomas Scientific doesn't have much turnover of alcohol hydrometers. It also brings to mind the question: should I send the package off for calibration even though they're new and certified calibrated? 4 years is a long time in a warehouse.

I am not sure on the exact US regulations, but the British, EU and ISO standards dictate that hydros must be re-calibrated every 12 months. I would have them re-calibrate now, as you will never know for sure otherwise. Always get them re-calibrated as a set.

Another tip. But a lower cost set of 'working' hydro's and 2 point calibrate them yourself from your Thomas masters, as, hydros have a nasty habit of hitting the distillery floor too often. I would rather drop a $20 hydro than a $200 master.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...