Planning trip to the Calvados region of France

This has been my first year making apple brandy legally, I'm loving it.. I think the timing of a trip to France at this point would be great.. I'm looking for suggestions on time of year.. and names of distilleries that would be open to Visitors asking questions. I hope to be traveling with a french friend. Nick

Nick-

I went to Normandy for 2 weeks (Dec 09 - Jan 10 holidays) and visited Calvados distilleries. A great experience, despite the exchange rate and the off-season weather. There are definite advantages to travelling off-season (lower costs, no crowds, distillers with time to talk). Next time, I'll go in the spring or summer, for sure. We can chat off line if you would like.

Tom

Nick-

I went to Normandy for 2 weeks (Dec 09 - Jan 10 holidays) and visited Calvados distilleries. A great experience, despite the exchange rate and the off-season weather. There are definite advantages to travelling off-season (lower costs, no crowds, distillers with time to talk). Next time, I'll go in the spring or summer, for sure. We can chat off line if you would like.

Tom

Hi Tom.. I'd love to chat.. What's a good time.. and #.. Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Made that Normandy trip a couple of years ago. The small distillers are open and willing to meet. They are the most interesting. You can generally make arrangements to meet them via email. Don't go in harvest season, they're too busy. And it helps to have a French speaking travel partner if you haven't the skills.

Do not miss the Normandy Museum and the bunkers. Puts the whole D-Day thing in real clear perspective.

• 5 weeks later...

Cognac is only distilled from harvest in the fall until March 31st of the next year. So if you want to see cognac in progress you have to go during that time period. I can put you in touch with Cognac Ferrand if you want an in-depth tour since I am very friendly with them. When you are a few weeks from going, get in touch and I will set it up.

Cognac is only distilled from harvest in the fall until March 31st of the next year. So if you want to see cognac in progress you have to go during that time period. I can put you in touch with Cognac Ferrand if you want an in-depth tour since I am very friendly with them. When you are a few weeks from going, get in touch and I will set it up.

Thanks. I knew the timing, and thought that if a group wanted to go, we would have to start planning now. If people do become interested, there is a distiller of Somerset Cider Brandy (England's answer to Calvados) who is an interesting character. He's been battling/working with the EU to get Protected Geographic Indication (general term for the eq of wine's AOC) who, depending on your interests, could be worth talking to.

I'll ping you in the fall about visiting Ferrand.

Jack