Starting a distillery on your property

mcg

I am planning to start a distillery operation in a building I built next to my house. I live on 2 acres in Central Florida and the building is not connected to the house. We have well water and septic systems on the property. Has anybody had any problems with state and county zoning codes with this type of set up?

I can't help you with state or county codes specifically. However, maybe just for Maine, but i don't think so, there is a difference in qualifications for wells that are used for private home use and wells that are used for commercial use as a "public water supply". Those qualifications basically differ in what i call "Distance away from things". For example a home well and septic tank can be 100 meters apart, but a commercial well and septic tank must be 300 yards away from each other. The distance of your well to other prohibited things include Military Bases, Cow Farms, Auto Mechanics, other bodies of water, fuel tanks at any time in history, and so on and so on. We needed Dept of Agriculture approval as a food processing plant before getting our fed and state license, that's when the checked our water source.

-Scott

You may a wrinkle with the Feds. You can't have a distillery at a residence. One of our members had to build a fence to demise the two property areas. Don't know if there were any title change requirements...formal split into two parcels...but they got it done.

I am planning to start a distillery operation in a building I built next to my house. I live on 2 acres in Central Florida and the building is not connected to the house. We have well water and septic systems on the property. Has anybody had any problems with state and county zoning codes with this type of set up?

Definitely talk to the TTB. This same question was brought up at the TTB Expo last year. Even they had trouble explaining it.

Todd

you will have to divide the parcel period. no residence can be on the same piece of land. this is due to the search requirements with florida and ttb. zoning is a big issue in florida, we are south of alabama and it shows with dd series state licensure. we have done something similar but got the dsp zoned agricultural intensive by our county

• 2 months later...

There may be laws specific to the State of Florida which place special requirements on the location of a distilled spirits plant on a residential parcel; but there are none at the Federal level. The law is specific about the where a spirits plant may NOT be located and there is no reference to parcels. This issue has been discussed at length in the other "home distilling" thread elsewhere in the Forum. See DISTILLERY IN YOUR HOME discussion.

• 2 months later...

We needed Dept of Agriculture approval

as a food processing plant before

getting our fed and state license,

that's when the checked our water source.