Insurance Company questions

absaroka

Dealing with the owners of the building that we would be leasing, it has come up that the insurance companies have sort of thrown up a red flag as far as rates are concerned when they hear that a distillery will be operating within the building. Have any of you that have gone down the road of leasing your space found that to be the case? At this point the owner(s) can't get a straight answer from the insurance company and they are holding our lease until they find out if their rates will increase due to our nature of operation. Any feedback would be a great help.

Thanks!

Bryan,

We had no issue with this. We did take the time to meet with the insurance company and explain our process. No pressure tanks. Steam jacketed heating. No open flames. No mass alcohol fumes.

Additionally, we covered the building owners in our own policy. We used Liberty Northwest.

Don

• 10 months later...

Currently a bill for domestic distillery operations in ND has passed the house and senate and should get signed by the governor in the next month. My question is I currently use a insurance company for my winery operations and I am looking at possibly adding a distillery operation to the premises. My current Insurance company (CNA) won't insure the addition of a distillery. Does anyone know of a company that has a policy that covers all the necessary coverage for both winery and distillery operations?

Jeff

• 2 months later...

We just got our insurance and it came in at the same rate as a start-up winery. Covered everything. It was nice to have something come in under what I had planned for! We went through an agent that specialized in wineries and had great luck. Not sure if she is licensed in other states but I'll ask.

Ryan

• 2 years later...

Hey folks,

Could anyone give me a rough estimate for cost of insurance? I'm planning on calling a few agents on Monday, but thought I'd ask here and now since I'm trying to make an estimate in our pro forma.

Thanks,

Adam

There are going to be a lot of variables depending on your situation and what coverages you select. Call a local insurance agent - you may have to call several before you find one that will be willing to do a little legwork. (Well, really, just some calls & emails.) Tip: be sure to get "liquor liability" coverage included in the proposal.

• 10 months later...

I have been talking with several insurance companies and rates are coming back really high. 3K for an annual premium. I have tried to explain the process, but they still seem to be concerned with explosions. Does anyone have an insurance company you are working with that you might suggest?

Thanks,

Steve

• 6 months later...

I use a company out of Iowa that I'm happy with.

Chuck Andracchio

TRICOR Insurance

800-556-5441, ext 1444

www.tricorinsurance.com

They work with distilleries, wineries, and breweries and understand it a little better, I think.

We paid about 4k, but that included liquor liability that travels with you, workers comp ins, general and business liability, umbrella policy, self owned auto, and property with additional insureds. There's more, but I don't have it in front of me.

I

Chris Burnette