FYI - Corson Distilling permanently Dissolved

Ozman

We have been searching the market to buy some equipment and found that Corson Distilling has now closed as of the start of April 2019. Thought this may be of use for anyone buying their equipment hoping to get warranty or parts. Buyer beware, but may be some good buying around if they don’t explode on you! 

Attached is the official state filing. 

E1AD4ABF-82D2-4114-A894-98D392E6F374.jpeg

Hi Indy - As far as I know they still were taking orders mid to late last year when we enquired. I read Jakes story with the letter from Corsons bankruptcy attorney and it would send shivers down anyone’s spine after putting in all that hard work and saving your life earnings. 

An online search suggest that they were still trading and getting orders around Feb/Mar. It’s sad to see the company go under, but it sounds like there were some shady business practices going on, not to mention the poor quality control issues - and just unethical business practices. 

These companies are usually a victim of their own success, due to the poor management of the business and cash flow. The brothers may have been an engineers and attorneys, but definitely no business people. Anyone in this industry does not plan to fail, but fail to plan - I have seen several micro breweries and small distilleries close their doors in Australia due to poor planning, but on face value were killing it. 

In the mean time I am still in search of “the one”! 

Unfortunately when these businesses go under, its the customers that lose out. Think of it as a pyramid scheme, and when the money stops coming in, those left the in the top half lose deposits and their orders as cash that was there, was mismanaged from the word go. Anyone with a Corson system lose their warranties straight away, and resale value of the still and equipment. It’s a lose lose all round. 

39 minutes ago, Ozman said:

Unfortunately when these businesses go under, its the customers that lose out. Think of it as a pyramid scheme, and when the money stops coming in, those left the in the top half lose deposits and their orders as cash that was there, was mismanaged from the word go. Anyone with a Corson system lose their warranties straight away, and resale value of the still and equipment. It’s a lose lose all round. 

Sad but true.  These assholes probably have money in offshore accounts or buried somewhere.  I just don't understand how someone could do something like this to people.  One of the brothers is an engineer, however I could have came up with a better plate design when I was 12 years old.  His engineering abilities concerning stills is at around a 4th grade level in my opinion.

I can't resist telling this interesting story.  Back in the 1970s the old Kingpin who lived in the Holler where I grew up, would bury cash.  He had $64,000.00 in cash from moonshining and pot growing buried up in the woods in a 1/2 gallon Mason jar and his wife was the only one that knew where it was.  The money disappeared and she swore that she didn't take it but it led to their divorce a couple of years later.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ozman,

We use danfoss valves to automate our condensers and dephlegmators.  For steam still heat control no automation is needed, you simply turn on the steam, make one adjustment just before operating temp is reached and then turn off the steam when the run is complete.  Automation for cuts does not make for the best spirits.  Our baine marie electric stills have a little more automation.