Molasses storage tank design

Rum

I am looking at replacing my tote farm of molasses storage with one or two stationary tanks with hard plumbing to the mash tanks. Anyone have experience with that? Do I need to worry about molasses infections or foaming? I have read about treating molasses stored in tanks with products to kill off bacteria. Not sure if that is necessary or not.

Any other design criteria to think about for a molasses tank that holds about a truckload of molasses? Gotta make sure the floor can take it of course. 

Any links to info on the subject would be appreciated.

• Thumbs up 1

2 hours ago, bluestar said:

Molasses can become active during storage, so this is something you have to plan for.

Thanks. We currently store it in 275 gallon totes. We buy a truckload at a time currently so we would be going through it at the same speed. The totes are kept closed and so far we haven't had any major problems. I'm a bit worried to have it all in one tank in case it does get active. 

Having never run into the problem before, I'm not certain how to plan for it. :) How does one plan for that?

23 hours ago, Rum said:

Thanks. We currently store it in 275 gallon totes. We buy a truckload at a time currently so we would be going through it at the same speed. The totes are kept closed and so far we haven't had any major problems. I'm a bit worried to have it all in one tank in case it does get active. 

Having never run into the problem before, I'm not certain how to plan for it. :) How does one plan for that?

Release valve/plugs. Keep it stored cool.

There is a beautiful thesis published by Victoria Green a few years back that looked at Bundaberg in Australia, it contains a wealth of fantastic information, and touches on the topic of bulk molasses storage quite a bit.  This is absolutely a must-read paper.

SOURCE02?view=true

http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/fapi/datastream/unsworks:36385/SOURCE02?view=true

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2019 at 7:03 AM, Silk City Distillers said:

There is a beautiful thesis published by Victoria Green a few years back that looked at Bundaberg in Australia, it contains a wealth of fantastic information, and touches on the topic of bulk molasses storage quite a bit.  This is absolutely a must-read paper.

SOURCE02?view=true

http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/fapi/datastream/unsworks:36385/SOURCE02?view=true

Thanks Silk. I have never seen that paper before. An amazing wealth of information!

• 1 month later...

I was thinking a couple 60BBL brewery fermenters would hold a tanker full of molasses. Tthe molasses place I get mine from suggested a couple roto-molded ones, but I am in a downtown, and they would get the evil eye, and people would worry about spillage...  but a couple beer fermenters would be more attractive...   not cheap, but reasonable if used, and attractive and have great resale value, unlike poly...