Barrel debate

rhynorange

Black Swan vs Barrel Mill...

Does anyone have a preference? Anyone sourcing from both companies? Side by side comparisons? We have been using black swan on some trials, which I'm happy with, but I've talked to other distillers who solely source from the Barrel Mill. Both companies claim to be crafting superior quality. I'd love to hear some unbiased opinions.

Let's hear it.

Have not used Barrel Mill. Black Swan are very nicely made, very tight, but I only used their small barrels. For full size, I use ISC, and I am very happy with their craft distillers series.

ISC is about 25 miles from me and we will only use 53 gal barrels from them. I have been trying to decide between a level 3 char and the Craft distillers char. I would be interested in your thoughts on the craft distillers char, why you like it, what kind of flavor, etc.

ISC is about 25 miles from me and we will only use 53 gal barrels from them. I have been trying to decide between a level 3 char and the Craft distillers char. I would be interested in your thoughts on the craft distillers char, why you like it, what kind of flavor, etc.

3 Char is classic bourbon, we have our whiskey (84% corn, balance barley and rye malt) aging in it now. We also purchased a craft distillers char with the intent of doing a shorter aging (1 year), but have not used it yet. So, while I have made the commitment to try it, I too would like to hear from anyone that has already used the craft distillers char, to reinforce my decision ;-)

• 1 year later...

Is anyone using the Black Swan Honeycombs variety? If so, how did you like the results?

Also, for Black Swan, has anyone used both the Black Swan Standard and Traditional varieties and noticed a difference? We are look at all three of their varieties.

Thanks!

The honeycomb barrels oak too fast for me. It's way easy to overoak with any small barrel, and the drillings aren't charred...so you get super resinous oaky character. If you want to bump up that characteristic in your blended batch because you're using second-use bourbon barrels or something, then it's a good tool to get a few gallons of superoak to add to the rest, but as a single barrel it's sort of overwhelming.

The Standard barrels (grooves in every other stave) work pretty well for accelerating the oaking a moderate amount. If you're leaving your new make in the barrel for 10 months, a Standard might cut it down to 8...but you'll have less body. I quite like the Black Swan Standard barrels. The Traditional barrels are nice...the oak they use seems to have a different character than some of the other small barrel manufacturers...it's hard to describe, but the tastes come out a little more earthy, or umami...

My advice is to buy one of each all in the same size, and stuff the same new make in all three...but if you're just going to buy one, go with the traditional...it's easier to control "slow" than "holy-crap-rapid."

Is anyone using the Black Swan Honeycombs variety? If so, how did you like the results?

Also, for Black Swan, has anyone used both the Black Swan Standard and Traditional varieties and noticed a difference? We are look at all three of their varieties.

Thanks!

We use the honeycomb for our "baby" bourbon. After 4 months or so, you have saturated with oak, so we found it only suitable for this short aging. On the otherhand, I think there is a WA distiller that has aged 2 years in a honeycomb, with impressive results.

Bordeaux wine was know for Cab Franc, Cab Sauv, Merlot, Petit Verdot. These traditionally being 14-17% Abv. Also big fruit flavors and Tannin structure. So lots of oak exposure preferred.

Not really pertinent to the discussion, but "traditional" bordeaux is not 14-17% (17%???). More like 12%.

• 3 weeks later...