Rye

hagar681

Why can't people just answer the question? That's not what I asked. I could just as easily say its the water that makes a good whiskey, but what I asked was, what variety of rye works best. So I assume from your answer that it makes no difference at all which variety you use?

Pretty sure mash was just joking with you.

I'm not sure that there is a direct answer to your question in terms of there possibly being a *best* rye to use. I've been using locally grown seed grade rye for a few batches. I know of others using malted rye from Briess, or flaked rye from BSG, and still others that are growing their own -- all make a good rye. Your in PA... I'm pretty sure some decent rye has been known to come from your region. Good chance you'd do just fine with the local rye crop.

Thank you. I just wanted a little feed back. Our local farmer asked me what type of rye I wanted him to plant. He said he would plant anything we asked for. I don't mind some jokes on the board. Although I prefer seeing them after a serious answer appears! Thanks again!

Hagar, that sounds like a great situation with your farmer. Why don't you get a list of the varieties he can get, then get with your state Farm Bureau, or an agriculture program at an area university. Tell them what you want to accomplish and maybe they help you select the best rye for you.

Thanks Jedd, that actually sounds like a good idea. I believe my farmer friend, who also owns a landscaping company has very close ties with the agricultural program at Penn State. Never thought of that. Much obliged.

Silly or rude ? When someone asks a sincere question these jerk/jokes aren't helpful.

I don't have deep knowledge of rye varietals, but I like by some 'dankowski' aka 'danko' (German developed rye) varietals and beverages based on these. Still it's very hard to compare without tasting the various varietals in comparison. A fair bit of this and some danko variations are grown in Western Canada. Canada's DoAg has some papers on these. Rye will grow well on terrible soil, and is naturally more resistant to rust and fungus than most other small grains - but there is a difference between growing rye in the NW & W.Canada at ~14" annual rainfall vs PA where you may have 30+" of rainfall. Also these varietals vary in productivity and disease resistance, so do talk to your DoAg about varietal selection. If harvest time is hot & humid you are begging for fungus (and extra drying costs). Rye, like winter wheat, is typically planted in late fall for harvest in early summer. I 've grown a little plot of rye (Ohio) and it does an amazing job of crowding out weeds. The straw has value too.

In the US nearly all rye is grown as cattle feed, where high nutrition is paramount and poor flavor acceptable. If you've ever tasted brewers barley (even 6-row) vs 6-row barley for cattle feed you'll instantly see the big husky phenolic flavors in the feed grain. So varieties developed in Europe, and the Baltic states where more is use in human food, and also varietals used in food and beverage might be a good bet.

I don't know if it's the rye varietal or something else, but most W.Canadian ryes (including the 100% ryes from Alberta) have a softer rye flavor & less grain aroma even at 4yo, compared to say a Rittenhouse or one of the LDI (Lawrenceburg Distiller Indiana, Templeton, Bulleit, Smooth Ambler) or even the Beam rye whiskies. There is (to paraphrase Michael Jackson, late beverage writer) a dry aperitif aroma to rye, but that aspect that I greatly like is diminished in some of the Canadian products. Still some good whiskies but ....

Not sure how much that helps.

Most American whiskey distilleries get their rye from Minnesota or the Dakotas, or Canada. I don't know what varieties. You might want to talk to some of the grain suppliers to see what varieties they normally sell to distillers. I just learned a few days ago that one of the Kentucky producers, Four Roses, has its rye imported from Germany and Denmark. They say it has a more robust flavor than what's available from North American growers. The ag program is a good call because your grower needs to plant something that will grow well in your area. Since Pennsylvania has a history of both growing rye and making it into whiskey, a little research may tell you what variety or varieties were grown there historically. I hope this is helpful.

I think people here generally try to be helpful. If you're not getting the answers you hoped for its probably because people don't know. You're trying to do something a bit unique, which is good, but that means it might be hard to find others who have gone there before you.