Yamada AODD in action...

indyspirits

It's a big f***er.  Bought on ebay for $900. Retails for $2700. Stainless body, aluminum air motor, teflon seals, valves, etc.  Max flowrate of 107 GPM. Paired it with this compressor.  Unfortunately when running balls to the wall the compressor can't keep up. Dang. Should have learned how to better read the performance curves. We're going to install an air receiver tank.   If you need one of these (you do!) I strongly recommend ebay or something on the secondary market. I spent about four hours tearing it down and cleaning. Apparently it was used to pump adhesives. The insides of the material chambers were a bit rusty. Cleaned up fine with phoshporic acid, a stainless brush and elbow grease (PPE is your friend).  We're building a cart for it out of strut. Here is it in action.

33 minutes ago, twalshact said:

As I was told I don't think it will help you. You may need a larger or second compressor.

Well that certainly sucks.  When I ran it the first time this morning I did so using it as a CIP pump to clean it -- probably not how I will use in in real life. Why did they say a ART wont work?

They said the extra receiver tank was for short burst volume. You will be running for longer periods I assume.

These guys are a great place for information, higher $$$  https://krugeair.com/

These guys are really inexpensive. http://www.aircompressorsplus.com/  Also ask them about automatic condensate drains. We use them everywhere. We also bought a coil to help cool the air and drop out any extra condensate so your pump will have less rusting inside the valve. Radiator coil uses the large compressor wheel to blow air across.  You will be surprised how much water is drained out. Note you may not drain the condensate into the drain from the auto drain. It has to go into a bucket. Then we pour it down the drain when the inspector leaves. You maybe required to have your compressor tank inspected every year $. They test the blow off safety valves and auto shut off switch. Cost me $10 I think.

ART's are for burst operations. For continuous you need a big piston or a rotary compressor.  For what you're doing it would depend on how long you plan on using it? 10-15 minutes at a time with a long break in between, a really large ART will probably enable you to do most of that at a decent CFM. If you're going to be using it frequently all day long you'll need to upgrade to a secondary compressor and ART. 

My sandblasting/painting shop I had 2 5hp with ~240 gallons of air storage. It would last 10-15 minutes before I drained the tanks and had to wait for the pressure to build up. I got a 10hp rotary compressor and never looked back after that. and no ART needed (though I still used them). It was EXPENSIVE but it kept air moving all the time and was barely audible at the other side of the shop. 

It helps to oversize your airlines. It allows higher CFM through the system and equipment likes having that extra. The compressors can go away from where you're working but keep the ARTs close to point of use. It also helps with CFM. I did this by having my compressors on separate lines into the ART then separate lines from the ART to the point of use. It was a bit of a pain to setup but everything ran well no matter how many tools were in use.