Anton Paar DMA 35

Welshbrew

Does anyone know the alcohol ABV or ABW accuracy with the DMA 35?

For the Snap 41 and 51 they quote accuracy of 0.2% and 0.1% respectively.

But nothing quoted on the DMA 35, other than density accuracy which is 0.001 g/cm³.

Also regarding the "Basic" version, is this just the previous generation that is now cheaper?

5 hours ago, Welshbrew said:

Does anyone know the alcohol ABV or ABW accuracy with the DMA 35?

For the Snap 41 and 51 they quote accuracy of 0.2% and 0.1% respectively.

But nothing quoted on the DMA 35, other than density accuracy which is 0.001 g/cm³.

Also regarding the "Basic" version, is this just the previous generation that is now cheaper?

From the info you have, you can estimate: density is about 1 g/cc, so you are about 0.1%. Which makes sense, since the Snap 51 is essentially a DMA 35 Standard or Ex. The Snap 41 and 51 are the same, except for the accuracy of the temperature measurement, needed for correction of proof. The DMA 35 Basic is the old design but also has the poorer temperature reading like the Snap 41, while the DMA 35 Standard and Ex are similar to the new Snap 51. The Ex and Standard has a special deal right now for ordering directly on-line from Anton-Paar: free lifetime replacements of the quartz tube sensor. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be offering this for the Snap series. In the old versions, this was the most common way the unit would fail: bump or drop it and the tube would crack. The earliest versions of the DMA 35 could not even replace the tube as a repair. The most recent (ie, DMA 35 Basic) can be replaced at significant expense. The new design looks like it is both better protecting the quartz tube and making it easier to replace.

Thanks.

I see the resolution is actually 4 decimal places (0.0001 g/cm³), with accuracy being 3 decimal places.

I really need it for ABV/ABW mostly, with some use for density.

I would rather buy the Snap 41 if that is more accurate than the DMA 35.

I won't be using it for final proofing since it is not legal in the UK.

Wonder why the Snap 51 is more expensive (£2,581.90) than the DMA 35 (£1,970.80)?

The lifetime replacement on the sensor looks attractive.

1 hour ago, Welshbrew said:

Thanks.

I see the resolution is actually 4 decimal places (0.0001 g/cm³), with accuracy being 3 decimal places.

I really need it for ABV/ABW mostly, with some use for density.

I would rather buy the Snap 41 if that is more accurate than the DMA 35.

I won't be using it for final proofing since it is not legal in the UK.

Wonder why the Snap 51 is more expensive (£2,581.90) than the DMA 35 (£1,970.80)?

The lifetime replacement on the sensor looks attractive.

Resolution just tells you how small the lowest digit is on the readout, it does not affect accuracy, unless it is worse than the accuracy. Essentially, in this case, it is telling you how many digits is on the LCD display, and that is the same regardless of the accuracy of the model. Snap 41 is NOT more accurate than the DMA35, in any version, as far as I can tell. The Snap 51 is better than the lower end model DMA 35, and I think that is because of the improved accuracy in measuring the temperature.