steam eductors

• 1 month later...

Love using educators and live steam. We have 1500 plus cooks on a stainless eductor, think it was around $250 6 years ago and still going strong. About 2 years ago I got fed up with the noise and having to have earphones on during heat up. We now add 5 gallons backset during heat up and it’s a hell of a lot quieter also drops the starting pH to a better value than just fresh. You can actually have a conversation around the kettle now.  I think the proteins in the backset makes the plain h2o more viscous. Anyhow it works great. We run at 9# steam (with a 500,000 btu peerless boiler and a 4” header) during heat up with the kettle and two stills coming up to temp. Stills heat up is 1hour +/- for both of the stills and we hit our strike in in the kettle in about 35 minutes. 

Just make adjustments to account for the water add from the condensed steam.  Just fiddle around to hit your SG and make seasonal adjustments. 

Yes you are correct I was talking about seasonal water temps. Mid summer, we’ll into the fall our incoming water temp is around 74* here in Southern Maine and yesterday it was 41*.  It adds 15 min to the summer time heat up and an additional 7 gallons to our starting 120 gal volume. Our Summer time water temp add is usually 27 gallon.  Before anyone does the math, I know it doesn’t add up time/volume. There are more BTU’s need over time to bring cold water up 30* vs warm water up 30* hence more condensate. 

Also keep the mixer on when heating up and point the enductor at a 45* angle to the blades. For us it helped with the noise a bit too. 

You can almost tell the stage of the mash cook by listening to pitch of the eductor.  Starts out very loud, higher pitch, but as you hit maximum viscosity of the mash, it gets much deeper, quieter.  

On the water additions:

One Pound of Steam = One Pound of Water

One Pound of Steam = 970 BTU

1 BTU = Heat 1 Pound of water by 1 Degree F

1 Gallon Water = 8.3 Pounds

Becomes pretty easy to calculate your water addition due to heating.

Agree,  our difference is we throttle our kettle during heat up to keep our stills at 6# steam (balanced) on high fire (no regulator needed). When they come up to temp the stills are throttled back to run mode and the kettle is opened up wide to our strike. I think we end up with more of a water add due to our steam pipes not being insulated (short runs) and feed pipe condensate build up going into the kettle. Our kettle is at the end of the line before our line trap.  Works great just keep your water add in mind. At the end of the day the only real measurement to be concerned with is your chosen SG and adjust as needed now and then to keep it where you want it. 

On a side note we calculated our water add with a 5 gallon bucket at our drain valve and time. Not overly scientific but got the job done.