Ideal still for liqueurs?

Gossinger

I'm not trying to be annoying, but if this is what you really need to know, you have a lot more reading to do. It can't be answered without a whole host of other information. I suggest you start reading this website and others until you get a firm grasp of what you're trying to accomplish.

I guess the best way for me to answer this (as a professional distiller that tends to favor making herbal liquors) would be ... what do you want to actually make (herbal liquors covers a lot of ground ...), and on what scale do you want to make it (them ...er whatever).

If you're thinking Gin, then you may or may not want something with an "herbal / botanical chamber", or not ... depending upon the process you're using.

If your thinking something more along the lines of Absinthe, Benedictine, Trappistine and the like ... or anything where you're going to need to place solids directly into the kettle, then you're going to need to consider just how you're going to get them out when you're done ... (i.e. via a large sump, or by dumping the still, or scooping through a man-hole, or etc.) The same would be true for any pumic or stone fruit bandy (grappa, grippa, kirsche, tsepuro, etc.).

So, what is it you're thinking of doing? How much, if any distilling experience do you have?

S.

Hi!

I've been a little quiet on the forum lately but on a question like liqueurs I can't resist.

At Koval we make six different liqueurs with more to come. There is a lot of peeling, dicing and work involved.

Depending on what you want to make, the level of difficulty and and marketability varies, especially if you don't want to use only flavor extracts.

If you want to make fruit liqueur, for example, it might not be a good idea to use a grain base and a fruit base might be preferable.

Generally, a grain base should be rather neutral for a liqueur - otherwise you drink a liqueur and feel like you are eating bread.

One of my colleagues at Kothe Distilling Technologies, Dr. Klaus Hagmann, has written an entire book on liqueurs (unfortunately it is still awaiting translation from German into English).

To answer your question - a liqueur can be made on every modern potstill. It is more a matter of the process that follow afterwards.

Also, the question of botanical baskets for liqueurs has come up a number of times. Even for herbal liqueurs (or gin for that matter) I wouldn't go down that route.

All the best,

Robert

Robert Birnecker

Kothe Distilling Technologies.

Award winning handcrafted German engineered potstills for the production of high quality fruit and grain spirits, as well as bioethanol. "Kothe Destillationstechnik" uses patented technology to specially engineer each still with solid quality and energy saving compounds to meet the particular needs of each distiller. Kothe Distilling Technologies is the sole representative of "Kothe Destillationstechnik" in North America, Canada, and Mexico.

--------------------------------------------------------

Kothe Distilling Technologies Inc.

5121 N. Ravenswood Ave

Chicago, IL 60640

http://www.kothe-distilling.com

info@kothe-distilling.com

(312) 878 7766