O-I, a real micro distiller bottle supplier?

Guest Bonanza

Guest Bonanza

I just saw an advertisement of O-I, Owens-Illinois, Inc in ADI.

Here in Ecuador they have a partner (Cridesa) which acts under the same company name.

I am trying to get attention of the sales manager named David Varas since 3 month without any results.

As I’m just starting, I was trying to buy about 5.000 to 10.000 bottles which where offered as stock bottles, later he told me that I have to purchase at least 150.000 bottles to be able to make business with them. BTW: it mostly takes more than a week to answer a simple email to him.

Is 150.000 bottles the quantity which a micro distillery usually buys?

If I would buy that quantity I would need to spend a good sum to store all that.

Than he sent me to a distributor of O-I for small quantities, Ecoenvases by Andres Mancheno, they cost more than the double and they only have ONE 750ml design in stock, a horrible cheap looking one. <_<

Now my thoughts, maybe O-I USA doesn’t know how the partners in Ecuador treat potential artisan clients, don’t forget, someone small can grow pretty fast sometimes.

So at the end I was forced to import bottles, at the end a good decision as I can buy the quantity I want and they have very interesting models.

Hopefully Bill Owens isn't part of O-I, lol. :huh:

as i recall, 150,000 units is high even for a primary producer (glass bottle plant). i think the number is about 40,000 to 50,000 for a small run. that should fill two 40' conex containers. a two-day run is what the bottle plants want, so if it's a big fast producer, it might well be 150,000 bottles that they want to run. that's how many O-I will buy/produce and place into inventory to service all of us. The O-I partners may not be in a position to be holding inventory as O-I will do. One of the ways guys like O-I get small quantities is to put different bottle molds into each of six cavities in the bottle making machine. they all have to be using the same glass (like flint), but it gets them six different bottle types.

who did you import your bottles from? what does it look like? how much did you have to pay once it was on your dock?

...and no, Bill Owens is not the Owens in Owens-Illinois. and Jimmy Owens of Demptos Glass isn't part of O-I either.

Guest Bonanza

I'm actually with a Mexican company, Will.

The bottle has a FOB price of 650 USD/per pallet of 1.400 pieces.

I will send next week or so my sales partner to Mexico to close the deal for a certain time.

The design is very selective and will shine in the shelves, I will send some photos with liquor and labels once they arrive.

The bad part of O-I is that they are the only ones that sell bottles in Ecuador, it’s missing competition here, that's why they can look down to us smallies.

On the long run it might be an additional biz for us, who knows?

BTW: There are good offers in China, but a trip to the other side of the world without local language knowledge will be some kinda difficult.

Joe

Bonanza,

O-I North America is fully committed to the craft distilleries segment. O-I is the global leader in glass packaging, we have operations in 4 regions, 22 countries; market situation and conditions vary from country to country.

We believe in the craft distilleries movement, and North America is one of the regions where this segment is developing at a rapid pace. We are already working with multiple craft distilleries in the NA market, and they are very satisfied. We have the potential to serve other regions; however, our initial target for craft distilleries is the North American market.

In the NA region, we offer a comprehensive stock line of high-end spirits bottles in super-flint glass with very attractive designs. In addition, we offer great flexibility by keeping inventory of these products in strategic locations of the US which offers the opportunity of small orders – starting at one pallet. For private or exclusive moulds, there is typically a mould investment required and minimum quantities will be dependent upon the bottle design and the type of machine the bottle will be manufactured in. We work with our customers to explore the best solutions for their needs.

We will make sure our counterparts in Ecuador contact you and work with you to explore solutions for the volume flexibility you need.

Proving once again that this forum gets the attention professionals deserve.

For those who don't know, O-I is a major sponsor of this forum and the American Distilling Institute as a whole.

Thanks, cvelasqu, for your participation.

Guest Bonanza

Bonanza,...

We will make sure our counterparts in Ecuador contact you and work with you to explore solutions for the volume flexibility you need.

Thanks a lot for that, I'm actually the only micro distillery in Ecuador, at least there is no other one registrated.

Anyhow, as in the end of last year the sales of traditional sugar cane liquor was prohibited due to bad quality (the folks store it in plastic tanks, that's why) and it can be sold only as a crude material to re-distill for a proven and certificated product, many others will follow but we have to start with something and that's what I'm doing.

I would be very happy if it would be possible to get good quality bottles in smaller quantities in the same country I operate, most know that the start isn't easy and any problem to purchase material like packing and bottleling can be a real mess, even can make you product uncompetitive due to high shipping quotes on small quantities.

Thanks again, I will leave feedback here on what happens in the future with O-I Ecuador.

Joe

This is good. CValesq, Do you have a Boston, MA, area rep. to allow us to pursue what you say, hopefully at a reasonable price?

Bob.

Bob,

Our sales rep for Boston, MA is Chad Rethman. His contact information is the following:

Tel: 567-336-1456

Cell: 419-819-8598

E-mail: chad.rethman@o-i.com

We'll be happy to work with you in understanding your specific needs and how O-I can help you.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Bonanza

Update:

As I was awaiting I didnt get any contact with O-I Ecuador.

They might do a good job in the States but forget about Ecuador, complete ignorance (they ignore the little producers). :P

I hope they dont ring my door (or any association Im member of) if one day they wanna be artisan friendly.

I got a good amount of emails from packaging providers in USA, thanks a lot for that.

ADI is a good place for all serious distillers.

Greetings.

I've been trying to get someone on the phone from O-I for the last week? seems that everyones out of the office on company business? Trying to gets some quotes together...Does anyone have a favorable contact or Glass dealer? Thanks All!

Greetings.

I've been trying to get someone on the phone from O-I for the last week? seems that everyones out of the office on company business? Trying to gets some quotes together...Does anyone have a favorable contact or Glass dealer? Thanks All!

Vitro Packaging, and I also use Saver Glass, both contacts are here already you just have to look back for them. Saver is now stocking some for one pallet sells. Coop