Chilling/Chiller

NoGoodOutlaw1

On 2/17/2021 at 5:03 PM, Southernhighlander said:

Our condensers are stainless tube in tube, counter flow.  Some are shell side and some are tube side.  On our Ultra Pro Vodka Stills, the coolant coming from the final condenser is around 120 F during a Vodka run. The water comes out of the final condenser at 120 F into the dephlegs where it comes out at around 140F.  If there are no dephlegs being ran and it is a stripping run then the water generally comes out of the final condenser around 130 to 140F on the average throughout the run. If the water is cool enough then my 500 gallon stills will only use around 500 gallons of cooling water.    Vodka runs will use more water than whisky runs as do runs for high proof.

I have only seen water coming out of a final condenser near boiling when the coolant flow was too low.  If your coolant goes through the shell side of your condenser, you should have a baffle, splitter or structured packing above the condensate intake tubes to spread out the vapor and slow down the vapor velocity.   If your coolant goes through the tubes and your condensate through the shell and the condenser is baffled properly, this is the most efficient condenser but harder to build.  Tall copper tube and shell condensers will build more heat in the top because copper has a better thermal transfer coefficient.  Also, outgoing coolant temps may increase as the run progresses, especially during stripping runs.  I was referencing average outgoing coolant temps coming into the hot water holding tanks in my posts.

I know this is an older post but I am looking for some recommendations and I think this quote has the information I need. I am basically trying to figure out how much cooling water I will need to complete a run. If I don't supply enough information to help, please let me know. We will be running a 600 gallon hybrid pot with an 8 plate tower to the side, with dephalg when needed , the primary condenser is tube in shell.   I have 2 x 1000 gallon jacketed tanks that I can fill with ground water  and chill. If I am reading Paul's information correctly that is more than enough cooling water. I plan on recapturing as Paul has recommended for cleaning/cooking.

"If the water is cool enough then my 500 gallon stills will only use around 500 gallons of cooling water." - 2000 gallons should be plenty??

We are in NC ground water will vary from 60F in the winter to up to 75F in the summer, what temperature should I keep in the tanks and in turn what temp should I be running through the initial condenser? 

We will have a glycol chiller from G&D to drop the temp. And from everything I've researched the typical temperature of sprit coming out of the parrot should be around 68F?

I also recognize that I will need more cooling capacity if I plan on cooking during the run or need to control fermenters, I am just trying to get an idea of the requirements for the distillation run.

Thank you for any advice..

Chris