Vendome Copper & Brass Works

chrisferguson

I've been speaking with several still manufacturers and getting feedback from artisan distillers on the equipment. However, everyone I spoke with is using either Holstein, Carl or Kothe stills. Is anyone currently using Vendome equipment (stills, mash cookers, tanks)? Can anyone provide feedback not only on the equipment performance but also on the working relationship with Vendome.

If you would rather not post your comments please feel free to email me at: cferguson73@gmail.com

I've been speaking with several still manufacturers and getting feedback from artisan distillers on the equipment. However, everyone I spoke with is using either Holstein, Carl or Kothe stills. Is anyone currently using Vendome equipment (stills, mash cookers, tanks)? Can anyone provide feedback not only on the equipment performance but also on the working relationship with Vendome.

If you would rather not post your comments please feel free to email me at: cferguson73@gmail.com

What type of stills are you looking at large column still for Vodka or a pot style still for wiskey etc? How big the 30-40 gallon units or larger? I think everyone would be interested in the feedback on the big players in the industry. I have been interested if anyone has tried the 30 gallon unit Vendrome was showing off at the ADI convention last spring.

We have a 50 gal. four plate still we got from Vendome, they are very good to deal with and down to earth and they care about their customers. We had a couple of little issues, and they sent us replacement parts without ever charging us, and they took care of it quickly. We are working on our second still from them and I didn't even think of calling anyone else. They are getting busy(They have 19 stills they are making right now 20 when you add mine) and sometimes communications could be better, but when you're dealing with them they follow thru and do it! They are four generations of still makers, family owned and they have a quality product.

We have a 50 gal. four plate still we got from Vendome, they are very good to deal with and down to earth and they care about their customers. We had a couple of little issues, and they sent us replacement parts without ever charging us, and they took care of it quickly. We are working on our second still from them and I didn't even think of calling anyone else. They are getting busy(They have 19 stills they are making right now 20 when you add mine) and sometimes communications could be better, but when you're dealing with them they follow thru and do it! They are four generations of still makers, family owned and they have a quality product.

What are you making with the 4 plate still - Wiskey? Have you tried to make vodka with it? Do you use steam to heat it?

We are making an Agave Spirit, Whiskey,Rum, And we have a gin basket that we produce infused flavors IE Gin Aquavit etc. to make Vodka you need more plates than four. ( besides vodka has no flavor why would I want to make it, No disrespect to those that do ) Also the still is heated by hot oil it's kind of cool we can set the temp. and rase or lower depending on how we do our run.

We are making an Agave Spirit, Whiskey,Rum, And we have a gin basket that we produce infused flavors IE Gin Aquavit etc. to make Vodka you need more plates than four. ( besides vodka has no flavor why would I want to make it, No disrespect to those that do ) Also the still is heated by hot oil it's kind of cool we can set the temp. and rase or lower depending on how we do our run.

That is what I have heard on the Vodka but some claim to make it with short columns and am looking for the mythical beast. How is the oil heated - by electric? Do you do two runs and if you do, is the stripping run through the same still? I am looking to get started but struggling with who to go with for stills so any input is appreciated.

I hope that one of those 20 stills is mine. We just ordered a 30 gallon still with the computer control and the oil bath. Im very anxious to go to work with it. Right now we are using a 300l approx 100gallon portuguese still for strip run, and what I'm planning to do is useing my new Shiney Vendome to do the 2nd distillation. The one that I ordered is supposed to be exactly like the one we saw in Louisville. Im usually pretty good on juding character and the first time I met Rob over at vendome, he seems to be a fine gentleman, I think as many years as they have been in business, they have got to be very reliable simply because bad news spreads so fast.

-Mike Fiore

• 3 weeks later...