Filter Press Application

CDS

I'm currently using 1 micron poly filter bags for just about all the spirits I bottle. A few spirits in particular (with fruit in them) are having some trouble with passing through those filters and more seriously, are showing some sediment in bottles.

It seems like maybe a filter press is a good option instead of spending half a day trying to get 55 gallons through a series of prefilters and wasting $100-200. My time is what I really need back.

I already have a pretty sturdy mash pump. And I'll probably be doing batches of anywhere from 30-150 gallons at a time. Anyone have any thoughts on using a press for this application? Thanks

Never use filter bags ..... You drive buses through them.  Generally filter bags have an efficiency of 60% and you get what you pay for..... Cheap crap.  Stick to filter cartridges or plate and frame filters.

I would be wary of using a mash pump for finished spirits unless you are very certain of your cleaning regime and the alcohol tolerance of the pump components.

For batches that small you can save a lot of filtering by leaving time to settle and then rack fruit and other liqueurs. 

Richard and Andy are absolutely right.  The filter bags are nominal at best.  Settling and decanting would be useful if you can spare the hold time, would save you in filter media .  If you cant, go with a more open bag to capture bulk solids (10 micron), and then to a filter press.  a 1 micron cellulose filter media is going to be able to capture between 90-98% of solids at that size, vs. 60% on a bag.  Efficiency increases the slower you flow through any filter media. General rule of thumb for sizing, for liqueurs you will want to aim for a flow rate of about 0.5 GPM  per square foot of surface area on a filter press and you may need to flow slower than that.