Label for a box (case of 6 bottles) that meets TTB regulations. Does anyone have a template?

RyLintz

I'm starting to get my box designed (case of 6 bottles ) for my distillery and realized that I need to print a label to be affixed to the box with the below information. Does anyone have a template they can share? Or any tips? Cheers!

1. TTB Mandatory Marks: The information below must be affixed to each case. 27 CFR 19.489

i.      Serial number (note: packages must be identified consecutively starting with 1 see 27 CFR 19.490(b)) 

ii.      Kind of spirits (in accordance w/ class and type)

iii.      DSP plant number

iv.      Date case was filled

v.      Proof; and 

vi.      Volume- in liters or proof gallons

The regulations only require that the marks be legible.  Some folks use avery labels (and DISTILL x 5 / Whiskey Systems will generate those for you).  I've also had boxes preprinted with all the items other than the serial, and then apply the serial with an inkjet case coder.  You could also use a manual serial stamp or even handwriting.  The right path forward depends on your bottling volume and SKU mix.

IMO, money spent on custom cases is tough to get an ROI on, unless you have a very specific strategy for marketing which places case stacks in front of the public.  Most new/craft producers will not get that opportunity.  The most space a retailer is likely to devote to you is a couple bottle's worth.  Just my 2 cents!

3 minutes ago, FIVE x 5 Consulting said:

The regulations only require that the marks be legible.  Some folks use avery labels (and DISTILL x 5 / Whiskey Systems will generate those for you).  I've also had boxes preprinted with all the items other than the serial, and then apply the serial with an inkjet case coder.  You could also use a manual serial stamp or even handwriting.  The right path forward depends on your bottling volume and SKU mix.

IMO, money spent on custom cases is tough to get an ROI on, unless you have a very specific strategy for marketing which places case stacks in front of the public.  Most new/craft producers will not get that opportunity.  The most space a retailer is likely to devote to you is a couple bottle's worth.  Just my 2 cents!

Thanks so much for the reply!

Unfortunately, we are NOT using DISTILL x 5 or anything like that. Just a spreadsheet at the moment.

Using a label printer makes the most sense. Do you have a label template with the required information that I can modify for my distillery? 

I do not, as the tempates are built into the software.  You needn't get fancy or overthink it.  You can create avery labels at www.avery.com and just fill out the fields, e.g.

Serial: #####
Kind of Spirits: Bourbon
[etc]

If this is not an easy task then you really might want to consider software to automate it for you.  Added bonus, you will have far fewer errors compared to doing it manually!

On 4/24/2023 at 6:35 PM, RyLintz said:

I'm starting to get my box designed (case of 6 bottles ) for my distillery and realized that I need to print a label to be affixed to the box with the below information. Does anyone have a template they can share? Or any tips? Cheers!

1. TTB Mandatory Marks: The information below must be affixed to each case. 27 CFR 19.489

i.      Serial number (note: packages must be identified consecutively starting with 1 see 27 CFR 19.490(b)) 

ii.      Kind of spirits (in accordance w/ class and type)

iii.      DSP plant number

iv.      Date case was filled

v.      Proof; and 

vi.      Volume- in liters or proof gallons

I created my own template which Ive used for 10 years now . Its on word and I can send it to you so you can modify it , just remove my barcodes, scc and replace with your own and relative information is there for ttb compliance.  I purchase  from staples Labels 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 - 2  to a sheet  and print on those .  It works for me. vbraxton@blackmommavodka.com  

Vanessa 

Screenshot_20230429-225256_Chrome.jpg