Zest for Limoncello and Orange Liqueur

I've come up with some great tasting recipes using fresh zested (machine-peeled) lemons and oranges but need to scale up. Fresh frozen zest is crazy expensive, Does anyone have any recommendations for sourcing zest? I really love using fresh zest, so maybe there's a machine to speed up the process other than the tabletop semi-automatic peeler we use?

On 5/27/2023 at 2:49 PM, Kindred Spirits said:

Have you tried using commercially available orange and lemon peels?

I have not found any that aren't dried. My concern is that the drying process will change the character of the zest. Also, I'm also concerned that peels include the bitter pith.

On 5/27/2023 at 7:36 PM, whiskeytango said:

Ravifruit has a fresh frozen zest option 

I've tried Ravifruit but it's quite expensive. I'm hoping to find a more affordable option. Currently, it takes one person about 5 hours to peel enough citrus for one batch (25 gallons). If I double the batch size I'm not sure I will have enough labor available. 

1 hour ago, Pollyanna Ed said:

I have not found any that aren't dried. My concern is that the drying process will change the character of the zest. Also, I'm also concerned that peels include the bitter pith.

Ok thats what I was going to suggest using, I would give them a try at least on a small scale, otherwise it will be a very time intensive process to make enough for a very large batch.

1 hour ago, Pollyanna Ed said:

I've tried Ravifruit but it's quite expensive. I'm hoping to find a more affordable option. Currently, it takes one person about 5 hours to peel enough citrus for one batch (25 gallons). If I double the batch size I'm not sure I will have enough labor available. 

How much do you use in one batch?   

On 5/30/2023 at 1:44 PM, Kindred Spirits said:

Ok thats what I was going to suggest using, I would give them a try at least on a small scale, otherwise it will be a very time intensive process to make enough for a very large batch.

That seems to be the direction I'll have to go. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, whiskeytango said:

Thats a bunch.   I know the Ravi comes in 1.1 lb bricks and it cost us about $14 per so yeah that gets speedy but its not burnt man hours and its always consistent 

Your mention that Ravifruit costs about $14 per 1.1 lb made me go back and check my pricing. I was using the case price (6/cs) which made my calculations way off! My actual price per 1.1 lbs is 1/6 of what I had calculated. Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Bier Distillery said:

Where are you finding Ravi zest for $14/1.1 lb?  That seems pretty cheap to me considering what a PITA zest is.

A quick Google search was about 2x that price.

Contact your local food specialty store. Retail isn’t the way to go.  Can’t really tell you what they will charge only what I’m paining.  But it’s probably less than retail

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:43 PM, Bier Distillery said:

Where are you finding Ravi zest for $14/1.1 lb?  That seems pretty cheap to me considering what a PITA zest is.

A quick Google search was about 2x that price.

Ok I’m a big fat liar.   I actually pay $17.50. Just bought a bunch today. 

There typically is a bit of rind on the commercially available orange and lemon peels. Sometimes this can be a nice thing for Gin, but it doesn't necessarily reflect a pure zest recipe.