Mashtun Agitator Design

hjubm2

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of designing/building a mashtun/lauter tun out of a 1200L insulated milk tank. I'm wanting to build an agitator/rake setup as found in a lauter tun and was wondering what the best design for the rakes is? Every one I look at is designed differently so I can't work out a design to go with.

Eventually I'm planning to use the tank as a malt germination tank as well with the rakes to turn the malt as it germinates. Whether I'll need to have another rake/turner design for that I'm not sure yet...

Any help/info that can be provided is really appreciated. 

Thanks

39 minutes ago, Pofarmer said:

My 2 cents. The agitator on a milk tank isn't going to be stout enough. It's going to take a LOT of HP to turn malt.

Thanks mate, I should clarify that the original milk tank agitator won't be used, a whole new setup is being made which will be centrally located in the tank with a larger motor/gearbox once everything is designed up & the power requirements are worked out

@hjubm2 Your gearbox will largely be based around your vessel diameter and size of paddle / blade, this coupled with desired rotational speed.  My 2c, approach a gearbox / agitator company and let them do the maths for you

@richard1 Yeah exactly, hence why I'm starting at the start looking for info on paddle/blade designs so I can calculate the rest.

If it becomes too hard I'll do as you suggested and I'll find a mob that can design & build a drop in unit for me but atm I'd prefer to build it all myself to save costs etc.

Thanks