Wastewater Processing - Rural area

Sorghumrunner

I am working on a business plan for a new brandy distillery in a rural county.  We will either be in a town with limited wastewater processing ability, or on farm with out sewer connection.  I understand the handling of solids/pomace from the stillage, but am needing to learn more about options for dealing with the liquid waste from stillage and cleaning.  I'm looking for resources on how to properly handle this waste, as well as what others in similar situations are doing.  Waste water flow would be 1000-4000 gallons per week.

Your best bet is probably an aerobic wastewater lagoon. Get out AS MUCH as you possibly can, in terms of solids. We go down to 25 microns...vibrating sifter, screw press, and then self cleaning filter. Once you get down to that point, depending on your effluent COD and BOD, you should be able to adjust the pH with something like a hydrated lime solution and then send to your lagoon. I've seen some folks run through a RO filter at this point to recycle some of the water into a boiler, etc. Make sure your lagoon has plenty of aeration to keep the bugs happy. This was the bane of my existence for quite some time. good luck! haha

That wastewater will be coming from what aspects of the process? All dumps from the still? Is that number just during the harvest time? 

50,000-200,000 gallons a year is quite a bit of water to deal with but not impossible.

What size equipment are you running to generate that much liquid waste.

That is based on 2-4 brandy distillations per week, and would be the liquid waste from the still as well as rinse/cleaning water.  That would be seasonal during the brandy season, but other products could be made during the late spring-summer-early fall. @Kindred Spirits

this doesn’t include condenser water which would either be reused or diverted.

1 minute ago, Sorghumrunner said:

That is based on 2-4 brandy distillations per week, and would be the liquid waste from the still as well as rinse/cleaning water.  That would be seasonal during the brandy season, but other products could be made during the late spring-summer-early fall.

What size equipment do you have, I have the suspicion you might be overestimating the amount of water you will be putting down the drain, there should be very little for rinsing/cleaning. 

Are you doing direct steam injection for the distillation in the style of grappa or just using a jacketed piece of equipment?

@Kindred Spirits this estimate is for a 500 gallon direct fire pot still.  Tuning 2-4 batches per week, with the associated fermenter and still cleaning.  I’d expect my estimate is low.  I’m including dumping the liquid from the still after removing solids.

1 hour ago, Sorghumrunner said:

@Kindred Spirits this estimate is for a 500 gallon direct fire pot still.  Tuning 2-4 batches per week, with the associated fermenter and still cleaning.  I’d expect my estimate is low.  I’m including dumping the liquid from the still after removing solids.

So you definitely will be be a lot lower than 4,000 a week. I would estimate maybe 250-300 gallons per run with cleaning. So on a 2 batch week you would be looking at around 500-600, and on a busy 4 run week you would be in the 1,000-1,200 range. That’s not too bad to deal with. 

I’m right in Wilmington NC, so if you ever need any help be sure to let me know. I’d love to help you get your distillery planned and can help with any issues you run into with your AHJ.