Barrel planning

Bolverk

Howdy all,

I'm hoping for some advice...

I know you want to be very deliberate in putting away product because there is a fine line of putting product away for maturation and tying up too much capital in barrels.

How did YOU create your barreling program and plan for future growth without having a solid baseline for sales? Were there market indicators or did you gamble and hope it payed off?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I think you just have to go for it if you believe in your approach.   We have only recently begun putting things away, and are jumping all-in on putting away 53-gallon barrels as fast as we can (small team, so it's only about a barrel a week right now). We made trial batches and put in small (5G & 15G) barrels to see if we liked the direction of our mashbill.  We did and conducted a number of blind tastings with aficionados, with great feedback.  So, we are now spending massive $ on ingredients and barrels, using the techniques and recipes we've honed building up to the purchase of the production still. 

We are very fortunate to have a brewery to cashflow everything and don't require immediate return. 

It was pretty short.  We want to focus on putting away spirits that required aging first, as we can produce un-aged spirits at any time. Our goal is to have about 30% of our barrel storage capacity full before announcing any other spirits. This has also given us ample time to scale non-aged recipes & techniques, get packaging designed labels approved, etc. 

We will do some 5's just to test tweaks to the grainbill.  No intention of doing much in the way of bottling that. I've found 5's can give you a sense of where a 53 will end up but you can't get the breath of flavors from long storage in a 53.  It always tastes young, and if you let it go a bit too long, the oak is overpowering. We do have a couple of 15's for similar reasons.